DRS12AX 12KW Power issue

clarkspilker

I have a new DRS12AX 12KW Radar and I am having problems with the radar error message

RADAR CONNECTION LOST comes up on the TZ3 screen and at the same time the Radar screen says RADAR CONNECTION LOST and in the center of the radar screen it says POWER OFF.

I get these errors every time I use the system. It usually happens with in about an hour of departure. The only way I can get the system back up is to shut off all of the electronics shut down the engines and turn both engine and house battery main switches off and then on again.

This is a very dangerous problem and no one seems to know how to solve it.

I am reading 13.7 volts at the time of the shutdown.

Is there anyone who can help me solve the problem.

Clark

Yeah as you are finding 13.7v doesn't cut it for a 24v radar. It sounds like your converter has a problem or the source power does.

Johnny Electron":cs1a5dd4 said:

Yeah as you are finding 13.7v doesn't cut it for a 24v radar. It sounds like your converter has a problem or the source power does.

I think he meant input voltage is 13.7V which would be consistent with the engine alternator charging voltage after some wiring losses.

First thing to do is measure the voltage on the output side of the converter to ensure it is stepping up to 24V properly.

I had a similar issue on my DRS25ANXT. Come to find out that my remote wire to turn the converter on wasn’t seated as well as I thought it was (joys of working in confined spaces suited only for contortion artists). Reseated and clamped it down and it has been working flawlessly ever since.

gtstang, what did you use for the remote turn in for the converter? Did you just jump it from the 12v positive or is there a way to get a remote turn on signal out of the MFD like with a radio and amp?

seaquin":2tgjtr0g said:
gtstang, what did you use for the remote turn in for the converter? Did you just jump it from the 12v positive or is there a way to get a remote turn on signal out of the MFD like with a radio and amp?

On one boat, I have the remote wire jumped from the 12v line that is tied to the circuit breaker labeled Radar. On my other boat is it actually a switch that is labeled electronics. I deemed that my remote switch to turn on the radar and the NMEA power.

Back