DRS12a Power Supply Options

GreatBigTuna

We have a drs12a radar on our boat connected to a TZTouch 2 and the radar power supply is getting flakey. It will power up for a few minutes then shut itself off. If we disconnect it from power and then reconnect it, it will repeat the cycle. The power supply does this regardless if the radar is connected to it or not, so I’m assuming the issue lies in the power supply itself.

The power supply is a Newmar 12-24-7 (Furuno part # NEW-12-24-7). I can get a Victron Orion-TR 12/24 10A dc to dc converter locally for a 1/4 of the cost of the newmar. The only difference in specs is that the Victron is rates at 10A output vs 7 on the newmar.

My question is this. Does the drs12a get anything other than a clean 24V output from the power supply? I’m thinking I can substitute the Victron, but want to make sure that I’m not going to damage the radar somehow.

I’m assuming 24V is 24V and the 10A output will accommodate the 7A draw from the radar no problem.

Thanks!

Jason

Well, we figured out it wasn’t the power supply but a corroded connector on the input power cable. Seems to be working just fine now.

I’m still curious about the Victron power supply should we need to replace the power supply sometime in the future.

Be sure you know what DRS you have because the DRS12A will NOT run off 12 or 24v. The NewMar will do nothing for you. The older DRS12A runs off 48v. Normally one would drive it with the PSU012.

Back