Displaying New Charts on TZT3

Quitsa

Furuno Super Fan
After a little thought, I believe there is a path to displaying the new TZ charts on a TZT3 that is not ideal but a whole lot cheaper than replacing an MFD. If you connect a iPad to the HDMI port and run TZ iBoat, it can be shown in a window on the TZT3. I believe the newest charts available for TZ iBoat are identical to the charts on the TZTXL, including the high resolution bathymetric charts.

I have to fool with it, however, I think it may even be possible to interface the touch screen controls. I am away from home and cannot get to my boat right now. Maybe one of you can give this a try.

There was a whole thread the I will see if I can dig it up later on connecting a Samsung dex setup to the display. Will the iPad accept touch inputs from USB?

Super excited to see where this goes and that video of accessing RipCharts is SOOOO much better than my current approach and saving to my phone to review (which I never do). How awesome would it be to the Ripcharts data as a layer on either the MM charts (TZT3 or XL)!

I know it is possible to use a Bluetooth trackpad remotely with an iPad. There is an Apple adapter for the USB-C port on the iPad that has an HDMI input and a USB port, which may allow using the touchscreen on the TZT3 to control the iPad.

If any of you have the hardware to try this, it should allow a relatively seamless way to use the new TZ Bathyvision and the other new TZ charts on a TZT3.

I know it is possible to use a Bluetooth trackpad remotely with an iPad. There is an Apple adapter for the USB-C port on the iPad that has an HDMI input and a USB port, which may allow using the touchscreen on the TZT3 to control the iPad.

If any of you have the hardware to try this, it should allow a relatively seamless way to use the new TZ Bathyvision and the other new TZ charts on a TZT3.
I have all of the hardware to test it. I know that I have the ability to use a mouse concurrently with outputting to a display. Have done that. Just not sure if the tablet will accept the touch inputs like the Samsung does. I will find out this weekend.

My list of hardware on hand to test all of this is as follows:
iPad pro 12" w/uUSB C interface
j5 create USC C adapter that has HDMI, 10/100/1000 ethernet and 2 standard USB 3.0 ports model#: JCA374 (bought from Best Buy years ago)

If successful I will detail the hookup/setup procedures to make it operable.

So after playing with various components for a couple of hours today, my conclusion is that the iPad isn't worth the time. It does not accept touch inputs from external devices. My Samsung phone works just as buckshot's video, however, it doesn't have the TZ iBoat app. The Windows laptop accepts the touch input perfectly, but I do not have any insight as to how well the Timezero charts are compared to what I have on the tablet, and again this involves spending a pile of money on software licenses. While I am not against spending the money, I would like a trial to know that I am not just dropping $650 on licenses just to find out it isn't everything that I am looking for. That also does not include the radar module or sounder module I would probably also end up also purchasing just because I like full functionality when I make moves like that. Curious to see what @buckshot is working on. In the meantime, I will continue using what I have and go catch fish.

The iPad will accept touch input via the USB-C port -- I just tried it using an external trackpad. I am more optimistic that the touch screen on the MFD can also be used as I recall doing that at one point. The problem with using a laptop is that the web based version of TZ iBoat does not have TZ Bathyvision charts as an option. If you have a chart subscription for the iPad app version, the My TimeZero web based version will give you the new vector charts but not the bathymetric. So running it on the laptop isn't an option without the costly Time Zero software. Absent that, you need to use an iPad or iPhone version of TZ iBoat to get the same charts as are available on the new XL MFDs.

I may be able to stop by my boat next week at the yard and give it a try with the iPad myself.

Yeah, my iPad wasn't accepting touch inputs from the display when I tried it earlier. The only display I have that is capable is my 19", the other 2 displays in my boat are 12". I can use a mouse with no issues on my iPad through my adapter. This would be a whole lot easier if TZ iBoat had an android app, as I would have a newer Samsung tablet with that app and the Dex service that works flawlessly otherwise. I have a paid subscription to the fishangler app that has some beautiful high res bathymetry maps that shows up nicely, but requires a data connection that I do not have readily available past 10-15 miles offshore because I haven't had a reason to justify the hardware/monthly service costs of a starlink yet. Would love to get this working though. Charts have always been my only point of contention with the TZT3 hardware.

Back