DHCP Server Settings

Quitsa

Furuno Super Fan
If there are multiple TZT 3 devices on the same network with an ethernet switch, should only one of them have the DHCP server setting turned on? That would seem to make sense to avoid conflicts.

The first TZT3 that powers on is the data talker for DHCP and NMEA 2000. The system automatically takes care of that. Units default to that setting On and shouldn't be changed because it is in place for approved third party device connections like SeaKeeper.

Is it possible to disable the TZT3's DHCP server? Or to change it's IP address?

I already have a router on the boat that has a DHCP server. It's on the same subnet that the TZT3 defines with its hard-wired IP address. I use the router to assign fixed IP addresses to a YachtDevices NMEA gateway and the Victron Cerbo GX. It all works great, except if the TZT powers up before the router: it will assign the wrong addresses.

madmike":3bvva57y said:
Is it possible to disable the TZT3's DHCP server? Or to change it's IP address?

I already have a router on the boat that has a DHCP server. It's on the same subnet that the TZT3 defines with its hard-wired IP address. I use the router to assign fixed IP addresses to a YachtDevices NMEA gateway and the Victron Cerbo GX. It all works great, except if the TZT powers up before the router: it will assign the wrong addresses.

If you look under the Initial Settings menu, you should find a toggle on/off for enable DHCP server. That's what prompted my question.

But I should note I have no idea how the unit will respond to an externally assigned IP, though it should just take the setting from your router.

Furuno doesn't support making it's network as part of any main boat network being used for other things due to bandwidth. We also don't support routers on the NavNet system. While you can experiment all you wish; we can't support systems that are not following the supported design.

Johnny, does "the supported design" mean separate Ethernet networks for (1) the main boat network (internet connection, tablets, laptop, Victron CerboGX, etc), and (2) Furuno chartplotter and radar? And the chartplotter connects by wifi to the boat network so it can reach the internet?

The only reason I started getting into the IP address of the chartplotter was to get it talking to the CerboGX for battery & solar monitoring.

Thanks.
Mike

madmike":3qtozi0w said:
Johnny, does "the supported design" mean separate Ethernet networks for (1) the main boat network (internet connection, tablets, laptop, Victron CerboGX, etc), and (2) Furuno chartplotter and radar? And the chartplotter connects by wifi to the boat network so it can reach the internet?

The only reason I started getting into the IP address of the chartplotter was to get it talking to the CerboGX for battery & solar monitoring.

Thanks.
Mike

That is how I'm configured. My Cerbo is connected to the Furuno network via an Ethernet cable so it can be displayed on the MFDs and via Wifi to my general-purpose network for Internet access to VRM.

The MFDs are also connected to the general-purpose network via Wifi for their Internet access.

I could not find the settings toggle for DHCP server. Is that a version 3 feature that I'll get after I update?

I connected the TZT9F to my Cerbo GX with a direct Ethernet cable. Turned off wireless on the TZT9F. Set the Cerbo Ethernet address manually to 172.31.201.12 and subnet 255.255.0.0 as described in the Victron instructions.

Both Cerbo and TZT9F connect to my boat's Wifi for internet, getting DHCP addresses from the boat's router.

This configuration seems to work for the Cerbo. I can VRM access it over the web, and view it's data and remote console on the TZT9F.

It's not clear to me yet if the TZT9F is communicating with the internet. It's unable to download any weather data, but claims to be logged in to My TimeZero.

TZT9F gets weather by Wi-Fi not Ethernet.

The setting for DHCP server should also be available in v2 software of TZT3 in the SERVICE menu under initial setup. (Password "FURUNO SERVICE" all caps with space in the middle)

I can't remember if v1 also had that setting or not. Ideally we suggest running current software (v3.01) to ensure you have the newest enhancements.

Back