DFF3D Transducer pipeline

DeepSouthTX

Furuno Fan
Question for the moderators here.

Just sold my boat and I had a TZT3 setup with Dffd3, scx20, etc. Currently looking at our next boat and most of the ones that fit the bill are larger center consoles and most have stepped hulls, and 24 degree deadrises. Which typically have shoot thru transducers or tilted element transducers just ahead of the steps. The tilted element transducers like the 175 series that mount flush with the bottom are a great fit for these boats. But there is no DFF3D equivalent. Only other option I could imagine would be to glass one of the smaller 165T transducers in a pocket on the centerline before the first step. Which could be difficult to impossible depending on the access. Or pocket mount one behind the steps. But I am sure that would severely limit the speed at which the transducer would get decent returns. Do you know if there are still Dff3D transducers in development. And if so anything that would work well ahead of the steps? TY

You seem to have a good handle on the challenges. There are no new mounting style DFF3D transducers in development that I am aware of. It would be impossible to build a flush mount pre-tilt option due to the wide 120 degree beam. The beam would strike the hull and ruin return signal and abilities.

I’ve been looking at the same challenges with my 35 Intrepid.

I currently have a 2005 vintage Furuno system and use an on-the-hull M260 transducer. I’m upgrading to a TZT3 with DFF3D.

Our use case is fishing for Chinook Salmon and Lake Trout. That means slow trolling speeds, typically 1.6 to 3.5 mph.

At the recommendation of my local dealer, I’m going with the transom-mounted 165T-50/200-TM260 for the DFF3D. He feels it will work great due to our slow trolling speeds.

We’ll see, but I do not anticipate good performance from that transducer at higher speeds due to step turbulence.

But, I’m also going to install a B175HW-20 ahead of the step. That should give me good depth readings at speed in addition to wide-beam CHIRP capabilities.

I’ve been looking at the same challenges with my 35 Intrepid.

I currently have a 2005 vintage Furuno system and use an on-the-hull M260 transducer. I’m upgrading to a TZT3 with DFF3D.

Our use case is fishing for Chinook Salmon and Lake Trout. That means slow trolling speeds, typically 1.6 to 3.5 mph.

At the recommendation of my local dealer, I’m going with the transom-mounted 165T-50/200-TM260 for the DFF3D. He feels it will work great due to our slow trolling speeds.

We’ll see, but I do not anticipate good performance from that transducer at higher speeds due to step turbulence.

But, I’m also going to install a B175HW-20 ahead of the step. That should give me good depth readings at speed in addition to wide-beam CHIRP capabilities.
I agree with you. Steps are great at what they are designed for, creating aeration. Airmar has some great photos of the bottom of a vessel at speed showing how little area is available for transducer placement.

IMG_2637.jpg

Last edited:
Question for the moderators here.

Just sold my boat and I had a TZT3 setup with Dffd3, scx20, etc. Currently looking at our next boat and most of the ones that fit the bill are larger center consoles and most have stepped hulls, and 24 degree deadrises. Which typically have shoot thru transducers or tilted element transducers just ahead of the steps. The tilted element transducers like the 175 series that mount flush with the bottom are a great fit for these boats. But there is no DFF3D equivalent. Only other option I could imagine would be to glass one of the smaller 165T transducers in a pocket on the centerline before the first step. Which could be difficult to impossible depending on the access. Or pocket mount one behind the steps. But I am sure that would severely limit the speed at which the transducer would get decent returns. Do you know if there are still Dff3D transducers in development. And if so anything that would work well ahead of the steps? TY
I don't mean to come in all kinds of late, but... If you can convince the builder to do it, nearly anything is possible. This setup has worked wonderfully for the customer. I am told upwards of 40mph on the SideScan and FishFinder. I'll work on getting an installed photo but this drawing shows the layout perfectly. My only concern would be for the SideScan transducer in this location if someone were to beach this vessel.

J.jpgJ3.jpg

Back