DFF1 not found after power up

A

Anonymous

I'm working on a boat having a navnet 3d. S/W is 1950064-02.01
Recently we experience a problem with DFF1.
When we start up the navnet, DFF1 is not recognised.
I have to cycle power of the DFF1 (by removing it's power cable) in order to get it working.
While working it will not be disconnected or show any other problem no matter for how long it's been used.
But each time I start navnet I have to go and disconnect the DFF1 power cable. (Disconnecting LAN or sounder cable makes no difference).

There wasn't any work done and I'm sure nobody touched anything related on the boat.
Things I notice:
When DFF1 is not recognised the LED flashes at 3 second intervals. (off period is 3 seconds)
When DFF1 is finally found the LED flashes faster at around 2 second intervals.
During standby LED is constantly ON.

From what I understand everytime I shut down navnet the DFF1 LED turns solid ON. In the morning is still solid ON and starts flashing sometime during navnet boot.

I've checked the ethernet switch and related power supplies and I see no problem there. I've also replaced the LAN cable between DFF1 and the switch.

Two problems right now that I see with this system.
1. The software is very old and the sounder software is most likely even older.
2. The power sync setup for the DFF1 isn't set correctly to properly power on and off the sounder.

I would suggest you start by upgrading the system with 2.07 incremental software to update both the sounder and the MFD. Once the software is at 2.07 then upgrade the MFD to current software (2.11).

Is there a hub in this system? Is it the HUB101? Is there more than one MFD in this network?

Thanks for the reply.
I have 2 displays. One is used for radar.
There are 2 keypanels and under the dash there is a PC looking device (the MFDBB?)
The hub seems to be of a generic 5 port type.

Any pointer for the s/w update? Where can I d/l?
I suspect the update will reset the settings, is there a way to backup (or write down) network information /topology etc or these will be recreated?

As for the power sync, how this is configured? Is it a s/w or a h/w thing? I can't seem to find any related setting.

You might want to contact a local dealer for help. The black box processor can be a bit of a pain to update if you have no familiarity with the product. The software and the update instructions are posted and available at no cost on our web site (www.FurunoUSA.com). You will find it under the software tab under the product photo. If you plan to do this yourself, I recommending reviewing the installation guide to get a bit familiar with the product and how it goes together.

http://www.furunousa.com/ProductDocumen ... 20V3.2.pdf

If you have more than one MFDBB (black box processor) or other MFD units (like MFD12 or MFD8) then the hub MUST be a Furuno Hub101 for the power sync functions and the system to work correctly. If you only have this one MFDBB, the it is okay that you have an off the shelf hub. Ultimately, if you have a dealer in your area; I highly recommend you work with them.

Right now I'm not in a position to ask for a dealer's help.
I have good knowledge on technical and computer related matter so I can try and update it myself.

I've checked the furuno usa website for the update but I can't find "2.07 incremental" as you state on your first email.
However there is this: "MFDBB COMBO Software v2.07 - For updating systems with v1.11 or lower".
Shall I use this? Mine has 2.01

What bothers me is the fact that the fault developed at the start of our current trip. It's been working fine since I can remember buying the boat. So maybe is a hardware problem.

I have updated using the incremental with the file above and the problem went away.
About a week now I haven't got any issue with powering up the instruments.

I will wait a pause in our trip to go ahead and finish the upgrade with the 2.11
In the mean time I have a question.
What is the difference between "set engineer default" and "set factory default"? (as seen in the DFF1 settings page)

Back