DFF1 Not coming on

A

Anonymous

I have a new DFF1 sounder I installed this spring and since then I have a problem where the sounder is not working sometimes. Sometimes it works for a few trips without issue. The DFF1 is installed in a NavNet VX2 system with three displays though a Netgear hub. The DFF1 is wired to the hub with a cable with the RJ45 plug on each end. The dip switches on the new DFF1 are set for NavNet VX2. When it does not work I have the sounder screen with no depth or temperature info on any of the displays. I have checked for proper voltage to the DFF1 when it is not working and noticed the green LED on top of the DFF1 is flashing every 2 seconds approximately when it is not working. If I unplug the power supply cable to the DFF1 I get the same blank sounder screen with no temp or depth. Could this be a communication problem or is something wrong with the new sounder? Thanks-Rick

rwade27,
Under normal conditions, the green LED on the DFF1 will flash every two seconds. There are a couple of ways to check your cabling. The DFF1 has a built in simulator or you can run a self test on it. If you want to do the DFF1 self test the steps on how to access it are on page 8-7 in the operators manual. If you are able to run the self test or simulator your cables/hub are OK. If you still having problems let us know.

Snips

Snips,
Thanks for the reply. I printed out the pages from the manual to test the sounder and I will have them ready next time it fails. It has been working properly the last few days. I am sure I need to do this test while it is not working so I will let you know what happens.
Rick

When I used the boat this past weekend. I did the network sounder test first when the sounder was working and the test worked. It showed the depth and temperature. Later in the day after shutting the electronics off then restarting them the sounder would not work. When I pushed the menu button for network sounder test this time it did not attempt to do the test. The unit went to the black test screen for about a second then back to the test menu. I tried this several times while the sounder was not working with the same result. After turning the electronics off and on about five times the sounder started working again, and the network sounder test works again. Hope this helps. Thanks.-Rick

rwade27,
Sounds like a communication (network) issue. You mentioned that you have three displays. Did you try the sounder test from a different display? Are they all in the same area or in different locations? The reason I ask is that can check to see if the Netgear hub is working if the chart information is getting from one display to another. Can you see your Netgear hub? Is it a four port? Are all the green/yellow light flashing when the DFF1 is offline?

Snips

Snips":3c2bmpyb said:
Did you try the sounder test from a different display?
Yes, when the sounder is not working the test will not work on any screens.

Are they all in the same area or in different locations?
Two displays in same location at helm. One up in tower of sportfish boat.

Can you see your Netgear hub?
Yes.

Is it a four port?
No, it has 5 ports.

Are all the green/yellow light flashing when the DFF1 is offline?
No, when the DFF1 is not working the green light for the port it is plugged into does not light up. When the DFF1 is working the blinky light for the port it is plugged into does light up.

Hope this helps. Also I have noticed now that when the DFF1 stops working it is usually after the electronics have been shut off then turned back on. Once the DFF1 is on and working it usually will continue to do so until it is powered off then back on, then I cannot get it to work the rest of the day. I verified that the green l.e.d. on the DFF1 flashes once every two seconds when the Dff1 is working and when it is not working. Thanks for your help! -Rick

rwade27,
Please confirm that when the DFF1, hub and the VX2 displays are all powered up at the same time that the sounder works. What model is your Netgear hub?

Snips

Snips,
I am not sure what you mean by making sure the DFF1 works when the hub and displays are all powered on at the same time? It is not working when they are all turned on sometimes. I live 3 hours from my boat so I want to be sure to get the information you ask for while I am there. I will have to get a number off the Netgear hub for you next time I am there too. Do you mean try turning all three VX2 displays on at exactly the same time? In the pics I posted above the tower located unit was off and the DFF1 was not working at the dock with the two helm displays on, but while fishing all day all three displays were on and everything works but the DFF1.

Rwade27,
I see that the RJ-45 connector on the DFF1 cable is different that what is going to the three MFD's. The fact that you have green lights on ports three and four means that the two lower MFD's should be talking to each other. You can confirm this by putting a chart in one and seeing if the chart info appears in the other MFD. If you turn on the tower MFD you should see the port one LED to come on, however you should confirm this. That this point to appear to be a hub/cable issue going to the DFF1. You can try plugging the DFF1 into port five to see if that LED lights up. You can also switch helm 7" into port two to see if the hub is OK.

Snips

Back