Depth readings on FCV-628 out of water

DCarter

I’ve just replaced an FCV-620 model with a new 628. According to Furuno techs, the transducer from the previous unit (Airmar P66) is compatible with the 628. However, after attaching wiring and powering the unit up (only for a few seconds), I’m getting no depth reading, only - - - - . Furuno says not to be concerned, it will show the depth when it’s in the water. Is this consistent with what your seeing on similar units?

I would not be too concerned till the boat is in the water. If you need to make some adjustments with your bottom level to show a depth number, you can't do it outside of the water.

Normally the manual warns of running transducers out of the water because they need water for keeping the elements cool during operation. Transducers need the water medium to function. I do not recommend running them in air for long periods especially larger transducers.

I’ve only powered it up for a few short seconds to confirm if it was reading depth. Was just trying to confirm I didn’t have a faulty unit.

Back