Cursor Bearing and AIS Bearing Conflict

yachtfixer

While using the TZT3, software 3.01, we were pulling up bearing information on the target and discovered the AIS Bearing to target is given in Relative instead of True or Magnetic. Please see the photo. The TZT3 cursor bearing is displayed in Magnetic. I looked for and could not find a setting relating to AIS that allows me to change the AIS target bearing to Magnetic as well.
This boat happens to have a Navnet 3D unit that uses the same AIS source for AIS as the TZT3. When the same target is selected on the Navnet 3D screen the target information shows range and Magnetic bearing.
The Relative vs Magnetic is an issue because we've used the Navnet 3D for years and grown accustomed to all the information being displayed in degrees Magnetic.
Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Attachments

• AIS vs Cursor.jpg
    AIS vs Cursor.jpg
    385.7 KB · Views: 108
By design, TZT/TZT2/TZT3 show AIS target bearing in relation (relative) to the bow of the boat. While the terminology can get really confusing it is unrelated to any compass direction.

I'm surprised there isn't a means to select Relative/True/Magnetic for the AIS bearing. Given this system is used on commercial as well as recreational vessels. The problem lies in that this boat is operating with the chart in Heads Up mode, Magnetic. When selecting the AIS target the COG is shown Magnetic, so the assumption is the bearing is magnetic, though not specifically indicated by the M following the bearing. It creates confusion. Especially since the NAVNET 3D was used for years and provided Magnetic bearing (as do other manufacturers). Guess I'll make a feature suggestion and hope for the best.

As always, thank you for your time.

Back