Controller Not Working

MYNomad

Furuno Fan
One of the controllers (ie, the keypad) on my NN3DBB system (there are a total of three processors, and each has two controllers) is not working, although its green power light is on, and the other controller hooked to that processor does work. From the manual, it appears that there is only one cable to the controller (the back sides are not easily accessible, or I would look), and since the green light is on, the cable must be plugged in. Short of buying a replacement controller, is there an easy way to diagnose?

I am guessing that you have already tried the IP assignment for the back box keyboard in question? (Holding the outer scrolling and outer cursor as you press the Roto-key or 5-10 seconds) You can always shut the system down and swap controllers on that black box and see if the problem moves. If it does move, then you have a problem control. If it doesn't move, then you have a bad cable.

I have not tried the IP assignment, but I have verified that the keyboard is not controlling any of the processors. I will try that next time I am on the boat, but since even the power-down button doesn't work (I know that I should only shut down at the master, but I was desperate), so I don't think holding the other two buttons will work either. I will also try moving the controller plugs on the black boxes, as you suggest. Thank you.

So, it is fixed but I am not sure how. Rebooting didn't work, unplugging the cable didn't work, and reassigning didn't work(which I tried first and found it interesting that the controller worked enough to allow that key input -- in all other respects none of the keys, including the powere key were resposive. Reassigning didn't allow the controller to control any of the other screens). But after 3 tries of doing all that, it works again.

The power button (basically hardwired) on the keypad is the only button that functions without having a proper IP address. If that wasn't working, I would suspect cabling. If you run into problems again on that keypad, I would recommend sending it into our service center for a full evaluation. I am happy to hear it is working now.

Back