Connecting TZT14 to Raymarine SPX10 Autopilot

Ok, I figured out the GPS time issue, system was taking time from the tzt14 instead of the sc-30. Now it works as it should.

The Yamaha interface now shows up as a sensor, and all the pgns are turned on, yet I cannot see my engine info or the autopilot info . Any ideas? Is there a way to "pair" or interface the engine info and the autopilot.

JE, I'm not sure of your nomenclature, but on the TZT screen I can see the following sensors:
1) SPX 10 - auto pilot "CPU"
2) ST70 - AP control head
3) Yamaha "gateway" (moves info from Yamaha NMEA 2000 system to the furuno canbus)

Power to the can bus backbone comes from the SPX10, and I know it works, because the other two sensors turn on when I plug in the spx10, and not otherwise.

the autopilot has its own heading sensor and works fine, but independently from the furuno. I can drive a course, but not to a waypoint or a route (taking into account current and set).

What I believe I should see, but don't is:
1) waypoint / cross track error, steering info going from the TZT to the SPX (not sure there is any info that needs to come back from the SPX to the TZT)
2) engine info on the TZT and GPS speed on the Yamaha display coming from the TZT / GPS.

I turned on all but the weather PGNs on the TZT14 (just on one unit, which I made the "main" unit)

not sure what an "instance number" is, but I set up 3 engines, named them, put in max rpm, oil pressure , etc.

Is there some special sequence of turning things on, or some other 'secret' to get these systems to share info?

Also, I know I promised some pics of the set up, which I will do soon, but for now, here is a pic of a school of stripers on the chrip finder with the wide airmar transducer (little out of focus, and a 200 lb Bluefin tuna we caught (that is my son with the fish - he also helped me install the whole system - and me sitting)

Attachments

• stripers.jpg
    stripers.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 2,009
  • tuna fixed 8 16 2014.jpg
    tuna fixed 8 16 2014.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 2,009
Great photos!

At minimum, you should turn on the following PGNs from your TZT14 to drive the pilot.
(MENU - INITIAL SETUP - PGN OUTPUT)
-Navigation Data
-Navigation waypoint/route information
-Cross Track Error

You should refrain from turning "On" PGNs that the TZT is not the source of. For example if your NMEA 2000 bus has a GPS direct on the bus, it is the source of GPS. You do not want to have the TZT pick up GPS from the 2000 bus and regurgitate it. That would provide two GPS PGNs on the bus with one being delayed and slightly different than the first. Drink your water directly from the spring not down river after the cows have been at it. If you get my point. If the GPS is connected to the radar, then you must also turn on the GPS information to allow the TZT to route the data to the NMEA 2000 bus. In that case you would add:
- Position, Rapid Update
- COG & SOG
- GNSS Position Data

Be careful not to just turn on all your PGNs without regard. You must control your data flow to ensure that you don't develop data loops or conflicts.

Does your TZT get heading from your AutoPilot?
Yamaha has several different interfaces and I have heard of problem when people get the wrong one. Have you check with them to make sure you have the right interface?

Ok I will try your suggestions this weekend. Maybe I'll start with all the pgn's off. Then turn on one by one. Does it matter on which TZT 14 I do it from? I assume they both do the same thing. And does it matter if one is set as the master or not (the whole meter thing confuses me with this set up: seems like u don't need a master, but then sometimes it seems like u do - can u explain that?).

The Yamaha thing is annoying. I will contact them to make sure I have the right unit, but I'm 90% sure it is. I did my research.

Right now, I only have 1 Gps, which is the sc-30, running through the drs radar.

With the SC30 running via the radar; you would turn on the following PGNs for the pilot because the SC30 isn't connected to the same bus as the pilot.

-Navigation Data
-Navigation waypoint/route information
-Cross Track Error
- Position, Rapid Update
- COG & SOG
- GNSS Position Data

The NN3D has a master for every system (required) and only one per network no matter how big the network is.

The TZT is a masterless system. It does have what is called a "chart master" to ensure proper chart license on the boat. One unit MUST be set with chart master On. The others will have it off. I recommend that you turn the chart master On for the unit you plan to turn on/use most often.

If you have a Mixed system, Then you will have both a "Master" and a "Chart Master".
On a mixed system the NN3D is the boss. The TZT is not allowed to be connected to the NMEA 2000 on a mixed network.

JE, I don't have any NN3D equipment, it's all brand new TZT. Remember, I sent the schematic a while ago.

Now I understand the "chart master" thing! it doesn't matter which TZT unit I use to turn the PGNs on and off with - using any of the three will do the job for the can bus that they are all connected to, correct?

How about the data "source"? I understand that you set a primary source, and then you have back-ups. Is there a way (and should I ) "turn off the autopilot as a "source" for any data? Maybe that has something to do with the systems not communicating properly?

With the TZT, every unit should be connected to the NMEA 2000 bus. (NN3D only one display/processor not all) When you change your PGN output, it will change for all your TZT displays. You only need to do it at one display. (my long way of saying...Correct)

When you setup your data sources, it also applies this to all units on the network. (need to be change only at one unit) When you pick a preferred source it will use it until it is unable to; then it will look for another source automatically. Once the preferred source has returned, the TZT will switch back to using it. It works very well, automatically.
(NN3D will return to preferred source only after power cycle, if the orginal source is lost)

Back