connecting multiple inputs to MFD12

G

gordwedman

Hello there. I am building up a Furuno system on my sailboat over the next year and am starting with an MFD12 display. I would like to add the following sensors but its not clear to me how all these would be connected to the diplay:

1. 4KW UHD radar. plugs into ethernet port on mfd12 I believe?
2. GPS sensor. does this plug directly into the UHD radar dome? uses a short cable?
3. PG-500 heading sensor. I would like to connect the NMEA 0183 output. Does this go into the 18 pin NMEA 0183 input? Where is a wiring diagram for this? Could it go into the 7 pin NMEA input if the GPS goes directly to the UHD scanner?
4. AIS receiver. A unit with NMEA 0183 output. How to connect?
5. Lastly, does one of the Smart depth transducers plug directly into the NMEA 2000 input on the mfd12?

I know this is a lot to ask in one go so any help would be appreciated. Maybe you have wiring diagrams online somewhere?
thanks
Gordon

Gordon
It sounds like you have a nice system planned. If you have any questions along the way; feel free to give our tech support a call, or ask questions here.
4KW UHD radar. plugs into ethernet port on mfd12 I believe?
Yes, unless you have more than one network item then you would have a HUB and connect the radar network cable to the hub.
GPS sensor. does this plug directly into the UHD radar dome? uses a short cable?
If you are discussing the NMEA 2000 type GPS like the GP330B, then Yes. It can plug directly into the radar scanner to allow for a short cable run. The Antenna comes with a 5 meter cable but can be cut as needed to install into the radar scanner.
PG-500 heading sensor. I would like to connect the NMEA 0183 output. Does this go into the 18 pin NMEA 0183 input? Where is a wiring diagram for this? Could it go into the 7 pin NMEA input if the GPS goes directly to the UHD scanner?
Yes, the PG500 heading would be wired into the 18 pin NMEA 0183 connection of the MFD12. Wiring is custom depending on which port you wish to use on both the compass or the 18 pin cable. I will provide you some example links shortly. You could use the 7 pin NMEA 0183 connection on the MFD12 if you wire it properly. You cannot power the compass using the power of data 1. The power output of data one isn't large enough to safely power the compass.
AIS receiver. A unit with NMEA 0183 output. How to connect?
You can run either a Furuno network AIS unit (FA50 or FA30) or connect any suitable NMEA 0183 AIS into one of your NMEA 0183 connections. (data 1,2, or 3)
Lastly, does one of the Smart depth transducers plug directly into the NMEA 2000 input on the mfd12?
NMEA 2000 items connect to a backbone for power and termination of the network. You can't just connect two NMEA 2000 items directly together. If you don't want to build a network, I would suggest you consider the NMEA 0183 smart sensor that already has the proper 7 pin connector to connect to the data 1 of the MFD.
Maybe you have wiring diagrams online somewhere?
Yes, there are many examples in the Furuno USA installation guide under the MFD12 (Manuals on docs under the product [MFD12]). You will also find useful information under the TECH INFO tab of each product. The GP330B for example shows many example connections and methods. Here are some example links.

http://www.furunousa.com/ProductDocumen ... agrams.pdf

http://www.furunousa.com/ProductDocumen ... ecture.ppt

http://www.furunousa.com/ProductDocumen ... 20V3.2.pdf

Hi Johnny
Thanks for the comprehensive reply. I will print it out and keep in my Furuno folder.
Thanks also for reminding me that there are separate Installation Manuals. I was a bit puzzled that there was no installation or wiring presented in the Operations Manual. I will study these as I build up the system and get back to the forum if questions arise (most likely).
cheers,
Gordon

Back