Connecting a GP-330B to serial port

F/V Myrna

I have an older Nobeltec Nav program on a laptop. It is currently connected to a GP 32 through a serial port on the laptop. I purchased a GP-330B to replace the old unit. It came with a 6m NMEA 2000 cable, apparently this is not the right cable for this application. What cable and or accessories do I need to to make this connection.
F/V Myrna

The older GP320B is NMEA 0183 as is the GP32 and others. The newer GP330B is NMEA 2000 by default. Ultimately the sensor offers either format but the cable determines which you have access to. The normal GP330B comes with the 2000 cable but if someone wants they can later replace it to be 0183 by changing the cable. Furuno does offer the GP330B/0183 model that comes with the 0183 cable instead of the 2000 cable, right from the get go.
https://www.furunousa.com/en/products/gp330b--0183. The problem you would have would be the 0183 format level. Your PC would need to have an RS422 input. Old serial ports are RS232 and are at a completely diffrent level. It is possible to use the GP39 or the GP330B/0183 for your PC but you might also need a RS422 to RS232 converter, if you don't have an RS422 port on the PC.

Yeah, the older GP32 units had a dedicated RS232 level port. Most PCs have given up on the older RS232 ports so newer GPS units don't offer RS232. It can also be because NMEA.ORG changed the rules that only RS422 can be used for NMEA 0183 and gain certification. Either way, like Johnny said; you will need an RS422 input on the PC or use a proper converter.

Thank you. I have one more related question. I have recently purchased a new laptop and have installed a TZ professional nav program. The computer comes with USB-C ports and a USB-C to USB-A converter. What cable would I need to connect this laptop to the GP-330B. Sometime later on this year I'm going to swap out the new unit for the older laptop and Nobeltec.

Being the GP330B is NMEA 2000, you would install it onto the NMEA 2000 bus. You would get a USB NMEA 2000 device for the PC and place it on the same NMEA 2000 bus with the GPS and other items. This way the PC can pick up all available data on bus. Many times you will have a heading sensor, weather sensor, and other devices on that 2000 network that all offer good things to the PC software. I think the Maretron USB100 or similar device would work but you might want to talk to Nobeltec because they would know which interfaces work best for their software.

Back