Best practices for ethernet network

northcaptain

Furuno Super Fan
Dear Furuno Team,

In the current stream of extended connectivity, wi-fi portable, wi-fi phones and tablet, the usage of remote display... the fact that more and more a boat has more computers than a home... what are the best practices to implement ethernet on a boat without the risk of disrupting the navnet network ?

For example i have a Furuno HUB 101 to which are connected the MFD12, FA50, DRS4D, FAX30 and PCs running Maxsea.

I want to be able to use public wifi while on the boat so if i install an external amplified antenna should it be connected to the current ethernet network ? That would permit my Maxsea to be able to download grib files, point of interest and more. I could then have a wireless network inside the boat as well, all connected to the same ethernet network.

It this the way it should be done or should we keep an isolation between the HUB 101 network and any other connected to internet ? That would mean for PC running Maxsea that another physical interface should be implemented.

Thanks for sharing your thought on the subject,

Best regards :furuno

northcaptain
You would never add the internet traffic onto your hub101. We have many customers using their PC for both the NavNet network (MaxSea) and the internet. This is normally done with an Ethernet port going to the hub101 (for MaxSea) and the computer using either wireless or another (second) Ethernet card for the internet. You should never attempt to use the NavNet network as a normal internet network. If you run two Ethernet connections; I would highly recommend fixing the MaxSea IP address to a static address. (172.031.003.150)
Johnny

Back