Advice on Transducer Replacement

Chessyman

I have a NAV Net 3D with a 525TPWD transducer, for little money I can get a used 1000w CA50/200-12M. Is it worth the work to put it in? Or if I am doing the replacement would I be better off saving up for a new 526TID? Does the 526 perform that much better?

Thanks

Chessyman,

A few things that you might consider:

1. How easy would it be to switch from a transom transducer over to a thru-hull transducer..?
2. How to you intend to utilize a new transducer for fishing and/or navigation..?
3. How fast is your vessel, what trolling speeds do you intend to use..?

The CA50/200-12M is a 1kW thru-hull transducer and it doesn't come with a fairing block. It does have a 28 degree beam width on the low frequency side, and a 8.5 degree beam width on high frequency side.

The 526TID-HDD is also a 1kW thru-hull transducer that comes with a high speed fairing block. It uses a 20 degree beam width on low frequency, and 8 degree beam width on high frequency.

- Deep Blue :think

I am more concerned with how much more additional performance I can get by upgrading. I am willing to do the thru hull if I can get better performance. I was hoping for someone with experience with those transducers could give me some advise.

Thanks

Chessyman,

Thur-hole wet-face transducers typically offer the best fish finder performance when installed beneath the boundary layer, along with the use of a fairing block that can offer less chance of turbulent water flows affecting that performance than that of a transom mount transducers. So, I always recommend using a thru-hull transducer whenever possible.

Now I would lean toward using the CA50/200-12M because it's often used for Commercial Fishing applications, where the 526TID-HDD is often used for sportfishing use. Both are excellent performing transducers, but keep mind that depending on the fish finder that you are using, the use of the CA50/200-12M may require that you use a MB1100 as it’s not a diplexed transducer.

- Deep Blue ;)

Back