711C with Timezero

MVStillwater

Hi,

I have installed a 711C and I'm trying to get NAV mode to work with Timezero Navigator on a laptop. I'm using the Actisense NGT-1 to connect the laptop to the NMEA 2000 bus. If I navigate to a waypoint I do see these three PGNs as being received on canbus at the 711C: 129283, 129284, 129285. Both Timezero support and Furuno support tell me that these are the only PGNs required for NAV mode, but the 711C says there's no nav data. I have read on this forum that 129033 (time and date) is also required. This PGN is not appearing on my NMEA 2000 bus since my older GPS/AIS (Camino 108W) is not outputting it. Furuno support told me that 129033 is not required for NAV mode. Timezero support also says they have tested with many APs and that they have never found it to be required.

Does anyone have feedback for me on this? I would need to install another GPS on the NMEA 2000 bus in order to get 129033 to appear - and I'd rather not go down that path unless I know it really is the solution to my issue.

Many thanks for any help.

Richard

There are many variants of the NGT-1; make sure it's the NGT-1-USB for TZ4/TZ5 or NGT-1-USB or NGX-1-USB for TZ5.

You may also have to select the Actisense as the Nav Data Source in the autopilot settings.

Thanks for the reply. I have the NGT-1- USB. Not sure what you mean by TZ4/TZ5**. I am using Timezero Navigator on a PC. Autopilot is enabled on Actisense for Timezero and the 711C Canbus data page shows that it receiving 129283/4/5 PGNs. I haven't specifically done anything to select Actisense as the Nav Data Source on the 711C though it does show up on the devices list. I will check that when I get back to the boat tonight.

(**Edit - I realize you mean version number. I'm on the latest - 5.x)

Last edited:
You were right! The NGT-1 was not configured as the NAV data source. I was fooled by the fact that it appears on the device list and saw that the PGNs were being seen by the 711C on NMEA 2000. Now it goes into NAV mode just fine and tries to steer to the waypoint.

Thanks so much - you saved me a lot of time and effort!

I'm surprised that Furuno support didn't ask me that question.

Thanks again,

Richard

Back