2x TZT9F vs 2x TZT12F

mattology

Furuno Super Fan
Hello! First post!

I am upgrading my poor 585 this December, the screen has finally died on it, well, you know, the delamination issue.

I have been watching all of the furuno shootout videos on youtube, and i really am a fan of the tz3.. especially since i know it will work at least as good as my 585 which has already put me on quite a few fish in my short time as a boat owner..

I am planning on doing dual screens on my 2003 Key west 22' center console.. up until i learned about the 9" today I was looking at doing some extreme relocation of things to make the two 12" displays fit, but now I am loving the dual 9"! MY question is this, is there anything that the 12" does that two 9"'s cannot do? I understand that the 9" only has a single channel chirp. but the 12" has the dual channel. On a single transducer boat, is this an issue? If you have, for example, a B265LH, can a 12" fire it at both low and high frequencies at the same time? Or are two separate transducers required?
There are a lot of questions I have, and i am a little bit confused, so I would like to have these questions answered separately if possible, which will help me a lot... thank you in advance...

1) Can dual 9's both be wired to the same B264LH (or equivalent), one firing low chirp, one firing high chirp? (as long as the frequencies chosen are not harmonics of one another)

2) Can dual 9's, one firing low freq chirp on transducer A, one firing high freq chirp on transducer B, share the sonar data between them , and display it both on a single split screen?

3) Can dual 9's, #1 firing traditional sonar 50khz on transducer A, #2 firing traditional 200khz on transducer B, AND a DFF-3d 165khz, display all of their data on either screen?

4) Can the SCX-20 be shared between the twin 9" as much as needed?

5) Can the drs4dnxt be shared between the twin 9" as much as needed?

Thank you!!!!

Could you fit a TZT 3 12 and a TT 2 12, which is not as wide? You could use the TZT 3 internal sounder with the 265LH and see it on either display. Usually more screen real estate is always to be desired. That would also save money since a TZT 2 12 is cheaper than a TZT 3 9. You would still have one MFD with hybrid controls for rough conditions.

For another $100 you could install a B60 to use with the TZT 2 12, which works amazingly well in water less than 150 feet and has a wide beam. I have that setup on my little boat and sometimes it almost seems better for fishing than the B175H high frequency CHIRP on my larger boat.

Just a thought.

Good afternoon Mattology,

Thank you for your inquiry.

I will do my best to answer your questions. First lets start with the couple of questions from the 3rd paragraph.

My question is this, is there anything that the 12" does that two 9"'s cannot do? There are a couple of things here to consider. The 9" unit's built in fish finder is a little different compared to the other models. It can still do chirp and also CW (Standard non-chirp transmission) just like the other models. But the 9" unit only has a single channel chirp, the other units have a dual channel chirp. The difference between the 9" and the other units is the 9" can only do 1 chirp frequency: Low or Medium or High but not (2) at the same time. Where the other units can do (2) chirp frequencies like High/Low, Low/Medium etc at the same time.

Also the 9" unit cannot be connected to the DI-FFAMP to run a high powered chirp transducer. The other units can connect to the DI-FFAMP.

The TZT9F has the built in 72 channel GPS, has a little bit brighter screen than the 12" unit, only by 100 candelas. The TZT9F does not have the USB passthrough, Video Inputs or Video Outputs like the other units.

I understand that the 9" only has a single channel chirp. but the 12" has the dual channel. On a single transducer boat, is this an issue? If you have, for example, a B265LH, can a 12" fire it at both low and high frequencies at the same time? Or are two separate transducers required? IF the vessel has a B265LH (Low/High Chirp Transducer) the TZT3 12" unit could transmit with both Low and High at the same time using a chirp transmission. The TZT3 12" unit can transmit both the low and the high at the same time while using the chirp mode. Yes, if you the vessel had a B265LH, the TZT3 12" unit could use the chirp mode to transmit both the low and the high frequency at the same time.

1.) 1) Can dual 9's both be wired to the same B264LH (or equivalent), one firing low chirp, one firing high chirp? (as long as the frequencies chosen are not harmonics of one another) The B264 pair transducers are not chirp transducers so you would not want to use a chirp transmission to drive them. However the TZT3 9" unit can also do a CW (standard transmission) pulse and it is dual frequency. So if the vessel had the B264LH pair transducers it would take only (1) TZT3 9" unit to drive both transducers using the CW mode.

2.) Can dual 9's, one firing low freq chirp on transducer A, one firing high freq chirp on transducer B, share the sonar data between them , and display it both on a single split screen?. If you had dual TZT3 9" units, each act as there own fish finder, so yes, one could drive a low frequency transducer the other could drive a high frequency transducer. However, each TZT3 9" unit is a fish finder source, you get to choose what source you want to look at. For example, if you wanted both units to look at the High Frequency you could, or you could have both units look at Low Frequency. You could also have one unit look at Low Frequency and the other unit look at High Frequency. What you cannot do, is have one unit look at both sources at the same time.

3.) Can dual 9's, #1 firing traditional sonar 50khz on transducer A, #2 firing traditional 200khz on transducer B, AND a DFF-3d 165khz, display all of their data on either screen? This is a little confusing because most Airmar transducers that use a traditional transmission are dual frequency. Keep in mind the TZT3 9" unit can perform dual frequency in CW mode. So if you had say a traditional 50/200kHz transducer (B260) the TZT3 9" unit could drive both frequencies using the CW mode. Then if you had a DFF3D on the vessel using a B54 (165khz) transducer, you could do a split screen one side showing the 50/200khz dual frequency from the internal fish finder and the other side of the split screen you could see the triple beam view from the DFF3D. Kind of like the photo below.

Dual Frequency and Triple Beam.png

4.) Can the SCX-20 be shared between the twin 9" as much as needed? The SCx20 is a NMEA2000 device, once the SCx20 data in on the NMEA2000 backbone it is available to all the equipment connected to the NMEA2000 backbone that can use the information.

5.) Can the drs4dnxt be shared between the twin 9" as much as needed? Yes the DRS4DNXT is a network radar, so once the DRS4DNXT is on the ethernet network it is available to all the MFD's on the network.

Kind Regards,
C-Bass

Thank you very much everyone! I am going to be starting out with a TZT12F, and from there, I will probably add a TZT9F or TZT12F for a second display once I confirm how much real estate I will have on the helm after moving some of my gauges.

I am not sure about going to a TZTL12F for a second display because being only on a 22'5 boat, it might be significantly harder to operate it under way being touch screen only.

Here is a crude markup of what it would look like with 1x 9" and 1x 12"

y0uUkN5.jpg

Once I get DFF3d, i can get rid of the 94SV up top also...

Back