1870F settings

mppheel

Hello,
I fish exclusively off the NC coast in 80-140 feet of water for bottom fish...grouper, snapper, triggers etc. I have a transom mount P66 transducer. I've had this unit for several years now and haven't done much fine tuning other than splitting the screen for bottom zoom. What are the proper settings as far as gain, TVG, frequency etc to ensure I am getting the most of this unit for my specific purpose. We look for good bottom at 8-10 knots of speed when deciding where to drop anchor. Should I use auto? Do many folks use bottom discrimination? Can I mark a point from the sonar history? It seems Furuno has put a lot of thought in making the unit worry free with the auto function... but is that too general for my specific niche fishing?
Thanks!

Auto normally works for most at the depths you are talking about running. Any manual settings are more of a matter of taste or user preference. It is much like asking what favor ice cream should I eat. It is pretty much the flavor you like. High gain, Low gain targets, with filtering, without filtering, with DB, without BD, with Accufish, without accufish; you have lots of flavors to pick from. My flavor might not be to your liking. Mine might be totally different than Snips likes etc. As posted on the forum before, there is no magic settings that works for everyone. I always tell people to taste the other flavors. I promise you it won't explode.

Back