TZT network with MFD

A

Anonymous

I presently have a NN system with radar,fishfinder,gps,compass. In the cockpit I have a MFD8with dff1,transducer,330b gps. If I upgrade to a TZT & DRS4L radar, can I network this with the MFD8 I have I the cockpit. Would my compass pg500 allow radar overlay. Would both systems have full capability. Regards

The DRS4DL is only compatible with the TZT2 and soon the TZT. It will not work for the NN3D. If you are going to run a mixed TZT and NN3D system, you should select the normal DRS4D and use the power from the MFD8 (so no radar power supply needed). The DRS4D will offer ARPA, Canbus radar connection and variable speed RPM for the extra bucks you are paying. You should NOT attempt to put the DRS4DL on the same network with a NN3D unit. (also note you can not mix the TZT2 units with the NN3D; only the normal TZT)

Thanks, I'm assuming that the mfd8 would have to be powered up ro have radar available at the TZT display. When the DRS4L becomes available, can it be plugged into the TZT display. I don't need radar display on the mfd8.

You can run two different systems with the TZT and the DRS4DL and then the NN3D separately but you can not have them connected on the same network. The DRS4DL should NOT be on the same network with the NN3D in any manor.

If using a mixed network between the NN3D and the TZT, the NN3D is the boss. Only the power and network cable is connected to the TZT. The NN3D should be turned on prior to the TZT to provide all the NMEA 2000 communications and power the radar scanner.

I'm appending this post to this thread because, though somewhat different, the question I have is similar to the issue addressed in the thread.

At my helm station I have a NN3D Black Box (MFDBB), MFD-8, AIS FA-150, DRS-6A, DRS-4A, DFF1 sounder, BBWX1 Sirius WX receiver, PSU-012 radar power supply, and HUB-101 network hub. I also have MaxSea, running under Windows, networked to the system. This installation dates back to the fall of 2008.

The purpose of the MFD-8 is to serve as a self-contained, stand-alone backup for nav, etc. in the event the MFDBB dies though I do use it as an additional display when underway.

The MFD-8 display is seemingly failing. It displays arrays of stripes and color bars, usually at start-up, sometimes for a long time and sometimes short-lived. I'm told the cost to service the unit will likely be not less than $1500 and could be more than $2000.

I can buy a new MFD-8 for perhaps $1850 and initially thought I'd go that route. It would be an easy pull and replace with no modifications to the helm station required. But it seemed that it probably made sense, before spending that for a new but obsolete unit, to consider a newer model as a replacement.

From some inquiry and from this forum, I understand that the TZT line is fully network compatible with NN3D (but that TZT2 is not).

And so the questions:

- Is "fully network compatible" literally true? Will all data and network traffic which the MFDBB now passes to the MFD-8 also be available to the TZT?

- I understand from this thread that the start-up sequence is important, with the NN3D being brought up first (and this is supposed to be managed by the HUB-101 if I recall correctly). Has that proven reliable?

- Any other issues or concerns I should be aware of?

Thanks.

Richard

From some inquiry and from this forum, I understand that the TZT line is fully network compatible with NN3D (but that TZT2 is not).

I would use the term FULLY loosely but you can network TZT and NN3D. (But NN3D can never be on the same network as a TZT2). The NN3D will send data (like GPS etc) to the TZT over the network.

I understand from this thread that the start-up sequence is important, with the NN3D being brought up first (and this is supposed to be managed by the HUB-101 if I recall correctly). Has that proven reliable?

Well, power sync (which works well when setup properly) is for the NN3D. The TZT does not have any support for power sync.

- Any other issues or concerns I should be aware of?
Many, and overall I don't care for mixed systems. The most restrictive rules apply no matter what you are talking about. For example, you can have up to 10 NN3D displays on a network; yet the TZT only allows 6. So you have to follow the lowest (6) if you run a mixed network of the two. Other items like number of points per route....NN3D is allowed 100 but TZT allows 200. So in a mixed system you are limited to 100. There are a ton of examples like this but you get the point.

Thanks, Johnny. Appreciate the information.

I needed to move ahead so decided to add the TZT-9 to my NN3D installation, replacing the MFD-8. I also much prefer not to mix system components but just couldn't persuade myself that buying/installing a new MFD-8 in 2016 made sense, particularly as I always found its performance poor.

It will be a little while before I get to work extensively with this mixed installation, which I look forward to doing. I'm hoping the networked functionality will be satisfactory and, very importantly, stable.

Thanks again.

Back