Vector Charts, Radar Overlay, Anchor Alarm

So, just did our first long distance trip in unfamiliar waters (the entire length of the Delaware Bay). Not only needing to use the units, but also a lot of time to play. Three questions came up:

* With vector charts (NOAA sourced), at scales above about 7 NM, all data disappears. It shows blue for water, brown for land, and no other details. No buoys, no depths, not even place names. Although it does show AIS targets. This is the first time I've used vector charts (and maybe my last -- they are pretty awful!). The behavior is identical on both units on the boat.

* Radar on the helm station works brilliantly. Except I can't get overlay. I can do radar alone, or side-by-side, but not as an overlay. The RotoKey selection is "grayed out." At the nav station, overlay works.

* Anchoring in 2kt current, I used the anchor alarm. Is there an easier way to set it besides, at the moment of anchoring, Menu, scroll to Alarm, cursor to Anchor Watch, and select -- after pre-setting the range? I guess in time, that becomes fast. I'd love a RotoKey option! Or better yet, hit "Save" and then after anchoring, use that saved point for the anchor alarm.

Thanks.

I have some out resolved the overlay issue. Searching around I found a FAQ that indicated the overlay will not work without heading information. Despite the fact that I clearly had heading information working on the unit (The boat icon was lining up with heading, and the coarse arrow was lining up with COG) the compass icon was Xed out. I played around in data sources, didn't think I changed anything, but now it works. The compass icon is lit and overlay works.

For anyone coming across this post trying to solve their own issues, if the compass icon at the top right corner is not lit, radar overlay will not work.

I'd still love an easy way to activate the anchor alarm!

NavNet3D is an older system. Based on what you said the NOAA chart looks like; it sounds like you are running a very old chart. What is the version number of your NOAA chart listed in the chart catalog? You are absolutely correct that heading is a requirement for radar overlay. I am not a pro on the NN3D anchor alarm but maybe some NN3D users can offer you some insight beyond what is given in the manual. My only suggestion is to ensure your software on the unit is up to date because there were many improvements in the NN3D over the evolution of software changes.

Back