TZ2 DSC Radio recomendations

Makai

Im looking to integrate a new VHF on the boat that has DSC capability.
Ideally I would like the option to track an MMSI target on the plotter via DSC.

ICOM has been my radio of choice previously.

Does anyone have any experience with this and can recommend a radio version that will plug and play with the TZ2? I am running v7 if that makes a difference.

Searching the forum I see that this has been pretty hit and miss for some time.

Makai":3lqsnfgd said:
Im looking to integrate a new VHF on the boat that has DSC capability.
Ideally I would like the option to track an MMSI target on the plotter via DSC.

ICOM has been my radio of choice previously.

Does anyone have any experience with this and can recommend a radio version that will plug and play with the TZ2? I am running v7 if that makes a difference.

Searching the forum I see that this has been pretty hit and miss for some time.

The NMEA 2000 version of the Icom M506 outputs the necessary PGN 12808 to display DSC call information on your TZT 3. It can also be bought with a built-in AIS receiver to show AIS targets.

The new Standard Horizon GX2400 also outputs NMEA 2000 PGNs and has a built-in AIS receiver.

I have no experience with Furuno VHF so I cannot speak to the performance. I do have lots of experience with both Icom and S-H and they both make very good radios, especially their top of the line products.

I have 2 Furuno FM 4800. I took out 2 Lowrance Link-8s. The Furuno is better appears better built. I had trouble with the DSC functions on the LINK8 via NMEA2000.

I have t say, the user interface leaves a bit to be desired. I would have preferred a few more buttons rather than multiple function menus... Its not quick to get to the loud hauler/fog horn.

Thanks for the responses.

The ICOM 506 was what I was looking at originally.
Was just looking at the Standard Horizon and came across the Garmin VHF 110i
Has anyone tried one of these with their Furuno MFD?

I had an FM-4800 (even did a post on it here https://seabits.com/furuno-fm-4800/) and it has great DSC integration with the TZT MFDs. I ended up removing it because of lack of the second station microphone to make it a full boat solution. Tried ordering them several times with 1-2 month lead times and never ended up getting one.

Love the radio, though. Very clear speaker, easy to use, super reliable.

Back