Trying to outfit my boat…

Bthomas

Hi All!

Super forum! While I am 57 years old and have lived in the Pacific Northwest all of my life,I am just now learning to fish the salt. All of my experience is from 45 years of drift or jet boating our rivers…

I just bought a used 22ft Bayrunner Baja and am currently trying to upfit it before my trips when some very salty buddies.

For the first couple of years, I plan on crossing the Tillamook Bar, and fishing inshore for ling cod, rockfish, salmon trolling or mooching, halibut and crabbing. I’ll generally be in 150’ to 200’ of water. Seeing bottom fish, structure and reefs would be a huge plus.

Eventually I’d like to learn to go farther offshore for Tuna with greater depths.

I currently have a Furuno 1623 radar, Furuno fcv-667 and a Garmin 3205 onboard. I’d really like to stick with Furuno for future electronics. I don’t have a lot of money and would be happy to buy some good used equipment.

I am trying to better understand NAVNET, NMEA. and other networking. I love the thought of a single system working together but am a stone’s throw behind in really understanding it although I do believe it is something I’ll want…

If you all were me, what electronics would you keep and what older electronics would you purchase in trying to build a decent system until my wife hands me the big dollars for a new system?

Thanks a ton! Brent

Bthomas,

Welcome to the digital age where the Multifuction Displays (MFDs) can save you valuable dash space while providing you more options when it comes to needing a Radar/Sounder/Plotter system.

I would consider either the GP1871F or the GP1971F with a 525STID-PWD Transducer. These units will provide you with excellent fish detection, along with Bottom Discrimination and Fish Sizing in the depths that you are fishing.

I would keep using the 1623 as your primary radar if its in serviceable condition. But keep in mind that you can always add a DRS4W Wireless Radar that will integrate with both the GP1871F/GP1971F.

- Deep Blue :)

The combo Deep Blue mentioned also nicely pairs well with the TZ iBoat app for Apple iPads.

This is great—I’m an apple guy too…

So am I ok with this non-chirp transducer? Also, am I messing up ordering a 600kw vs a 1000kw transducer? I’m trying to understand the difference as well as the frequency differences for low, medium, high.

Thanks a lot!

The GP1971F / 525STID-PWD combo is great for crossing the Tillamook Bar, fishing inshore for ling cod, rockfish, salmon trolling or mooching, halibut and crabbing and generally anything in 150’ to 200’ of water including seeing bottom fish, structure and reefs et. al. ;)

It's just when you decide to go farther offshore for Tuna in greater and greater depths (e.g. 1,000 - 2,500') where you'll need higher power and/or lower frequencies IMHO. :sorry

- Maggy

Thank you Maggy! I really appreciate all of your and Deep Blue’s help! Can’t wait to order and get it set up!

Back