Tank nr 1 shows as Tank nr 4.

I have a TLM 100 tank sensor from Maretron.
It sends the PGN 127505 with fluid instance 1. See picture.
It will show up with correct level but as Tank nr 4 on my tzt3. Why tank 4?
Is Tank and Instance not same thing? Is Tank 4 hidden somewhere in the PGN?

There is something I do not understand / and that has most likely effect on another problem I have...

Can someone point me in right direction?

/Danny

1698874311992.png

1698874007110.png

If the tank sensor is your only one, it should be setup for a device instance of zero and a data instance of zero. With that device it is most likely your device instance is wrong as unlike some of the other maretron it only supports one sensor.

I was doing some research yesterday on getting Cummins QSC 8.3 engine data onto the N2K bus and stumbled across a similar issue, described as:

"After installing the Gateway and discovering that I had no Starboard fuel tank indication I consulted the Raymarine forum and was pointed in the direction that would help correct the issue. The problem is with the Instance ID in the PGN 127500 code which corresponds to the fuel tank quantity. The codes Instance ID should be 00 and 01 respectively for the port and Starboard tanks. I was able to find the list of PGN sentences on the diagnostics page on the gs165 and found that the Instance IDs are set to 02 and 03."

I don't think it's a Furuno issue, seems like a device issue.

Thanks both of you.
I have built CAN systems for cars - but stil I feel a bit lost and embarased :cool:
As you both observe it is both about what is sent and how it is understod.
And it never helps with 2 different brands.
The fill level is crystal clear and it also shows up correct. Good.
The Maretron is soft configured with Device Instance and Data Instance.
I guess it is because they want me to add one device per tank - and then configure the info needed for Furuno (or whatever MFD I use) to show right level on right tank.
The Furuno TZT3-12 see the PGN but thinks it is sent from Tank 4.
Can it be so that the "Tank 4" has nothing to do with a 4 in the message - it is just a text set in the TZT and is mapped to Device=1 Data=1?
So maybe I can set the text to something different like "Starboard tank"? It would make sense...
I have not found anything in the manual but I may look wrongly...

The TLM100 should have come from Maretron with default instancing of 0 for both Device Instance and Data Instance.
NMEA2000 operates like J1939 or other automotive CAN systems where "0" equates to "the first".
Engines are always 0 for Port and then increase by one for each engine moving starboard.
Tanks are the same standard.
If you have a fore to aft setup, then foremost is 0 and increases by one moving aft.

Tank Instance 1 should be showing up as Tank 2 in the data boxes. Once you get the instancing corrected, run the automatic setup, then you can adjust the naming.

1. Considering we are seeing Fluid Instance 1, I am hoping that you changed it yourself and have some means to do it again, like a Maretron DSM display or N2KAnalyzer software on a laptop?
2. Is this your only tank sensor of any type on the NMEA2000?
3. Have you pressed the Engine & Tank Automatic Setup button? (Home/Furuno - Settings - Initial Setup - and it is in the INSTRUMENTS SETUP segment)

The TLM100 should have come from Maretron with default instancing of 0 for both Device Instance and Data Instance.
NMEA2000 operates like J1939 or other automotive CAN systems where "0" equates to "the first".
Engines are always 0 for Port and then increase by one for each engine moving starboard.
Tanks are the same standard.
If you have a fore to aft setup, then foremost is 0 and increases by one moving aft.

Tank Instance 1 should be showing up as Tank 2 in the data boxes. Once you get the instancing corrected, run the automatic setup, then you can adjust the naming.

1. Considering we are seeing Fluid Instance 1, I am hoping that you changed it yourself and have some means to do it again, like a Maretron DSM display or N2KAnalyzer software on a laptop?
2. Is this your only tank sensor of any type on the NMEA2000?
3. Have you pressed the Engine & Tank Automatic Setup button? (Home/Furuno - Settings - Initial Setup - and it is in the INSTRUMENTS SETUP segment)
Hi FishTech, Yes I have set it up myself (to try to display it on an old RD33) with N2kAnalyzer. Will go back to default.
Thanks for the definition of numbering of tanks. Very helpfull.
Will try the automatic setup. Also very helpfull.
Yes it is the only tank sensor. I want it to work before I buy more...
Still do not answer where the number 4 on TZT comes from. Is "Fuel 4" just a text string set up somewhere pointing to instance 1.

Conclusion:
TZT3 will set up a Nickname for every tank.
A tank = Device instance + Sender Id. So I believe both VolvoPenta and Maretron can use tank Device 0. And TZT3 will separate them.

In my case TLM100 device 0 was nicknamed "FUEL 2". And TLM100 Device 1 was nicknamed "FUEL 4".
Volvo-Penta was nicknamed "FUEL" and "FUEL 3"

In "Home - Initial Setup - Engine&Tank manual" it is possible to click on the small keyboard and change the Nick name.

I suspect the same technique is used in several other cases by the TZT3.

Actually it all makes sense.

There is one other phenomenon that I have experienced. Some devices on the NMEA 2000 network can output PGNs that are repeating what they are receiving. In that process, it is possible for them to make a change. I had a somewhat similar problem to this one with tank labels. In the end, I traced it to my engine displays. While their main function was to show engine data that they received over a J1939 connection, they also had the capacity to convert the J1939 to regular NMEA 2000 PGNs and put those on the network. That's the source of the engine data I can use on the TZT3. However, they also received the PGNs from my tank senders over NMEA 2000 and retransmitted it. This made it look like I had four tanks instead of two when I went to do the manual engine/tank configuration on the TZT3.

I don't know how often this happens but it can certainly drive you crazy trying to figuring it out.

Back