Scx 21, how many 2k2 converters?

Tommyryan01

Hi from aus!

Love the forum and the amount of knowledge here is incredible! I have one question with my set up if anyone can help?

I’m booked in for install of my 1150, scx21 (nmea 183), 711C autopilot and tzt2 12inch mfd. I have 2x 2k2 converters (one for using the mark feature on my 1150 and the other for positioning from scx21 to tzt.

My question is will I need another 2k2 to talk to autopilot or can it get this from the backbone? I’ve tried to find the answer on the net with not much luck.

Cheers!

Is the 1150 on the N2K backbone? If everything is on the N2K backbone, you will not need another converter for the autopilot.

Thanks for the reply mate. Yeh there will be 2k2 from 1150 to backbone for the mark feature and the scx21 will also be on the backbone for position data.

However struggling to find out how the fap702 processor connects to the backbone or I need another 2k2 converter or not.

Let's take a look at what's going on here.

You have an IF-NMEA2K2 on the backbone from the FCV1150 for "marks."
Then, to provide heading to your backbone network (including the TZT) you have an IF-NMEA2K2 from the Sat Compass going into the backbone as well. The TZT has it's own position GPS receiver, but will also receive accurate GPS and heading for a radar if you need it, from the SCX21 vis-à-vis the IF-NMEA2K2.

The NavPilot 711c has a NMEA2000 port on the processor board, as well as a NMEA0183 port. You will need to cut and strip a NMEA2000 cable and insert it into TB11 on the mainboard. Take out the connector, wire it up carefully (minding the bare shield touching the chassis), and insert it back into the mainboard slot. I feel that it would be redundant to add yet another IF-NMEA2K2 to/from the backbone to the NMEA0183 port of the Navpilot 711c, preferring instead to give the pilot position and heading from NMEA2000.

Concerning your satellite compass, Furuno happens to make the "SCX20," which is a NMEA2000 compliant version of the same Satellite Compass (in you didn't need the extra NMEA0183 ports provided by the SCX21).

Hope this helps,

- Maggy

Let's take a look at what's going on here.

You have an IF-NMEA2K2 on the backbone from the FCV1150 for "marks."
Then, to provide heading to your backbone network (including the TZT) you have an IF-NMEA2K2 from the Sat Compass going into the backbone as well. The TZT has it's own position GPS receiver, but will also receive accurate GPS and heading for a radar if you need it, from the SCX21 vis-à-vis the IF-NMEA2K2.

The NavPilot 711c has a NMEA2000 port on the processor board, as well as a NMEA0183 port. You will need to cut and strip a NMEA2000 cable and insert it into TB11 on the mainboard. Take out the connector, wire it up carefully (minding the bare shield touching the chassis), and insert it back into the mainboard slot. I feel that it would be redundant to add yet another IF-NMEA2K2 to/from the backbone to the NMEA0183 port of the Navpilot 711c, preferring instead to give the pilot position and heading from NMEA2000.

Concerning your satellite compass, Furuno happens to make the "SCX20," which is a NMEA2000 compliant version of the same Satellite Compass (in you didn't need the extra NMEA0183 ports provided by the SCX21).

Hope this helps,

- Maggy
Thanks so much for the detailed reply mate that’s exactly the info I was after :) love your work!

No problem, if you run into any further issues with your upcoming install we're here to provide insight.

- Maggy

Back