SCX-20 and Thunderstorsm

Quitsa

Furuno Super Fan
Is it possible that the SCX-20 has problems maintaining its lock when there are thunderstorms in the area? This morning my unit kept dropping off the network. A line of strong thunderstoms had just passed through. It did it a few times after being restarted. The problem went away after about 10 minutes and it worked normally for the next five hours.

Otherwise I may have to troubleshoot some sort of NMEA 2000 issue.

When it comes to strong nearby lightning, that can cause many issues. I guess it depends on how close it is to the boat and many factors, including if it hits the boat. I would recommend monitoring the signal strength you receiving normally and then what you are getting with heavy weather. Knowing your history, I am sure the unit is in a good location from other RF. Normal heavy weather isn't an issue but if your getting low signal strength in heavy cloud cover then the unit might need to be looked at. What happens during lightning storm has way too many variables to say for anything on a boat. Nearby lightning can cause very strong inductance and not great for anything.

Thanks. I don't recall my SCX-20 having ever lost signal since it was placed in service in May 2020. However, I don't make a practice of being on the boat during thunderstorms, which we don't get too often. Yesterday was unusual because I was planning to go offshore and it was pretty apparent we would have to run through a line of fast-moving thunderstorm cells. We just waited an hour for it to move through. I should note that my DRS25A-NXT was doing an excellent job showing the storms with better definition than the NOAA weather radar and Accuweather and Weather Underground radar maps I was checking on my phone.

The nearest cell was probably only two or three miles away when we left. I was using the autopilot so it was very obvious when the SCX-20 dropped. It did demonstrate that I need to do an alignment of the heading data from the Airmar WX220 that I have on board because the autopilot switched over to it and it was 20 degrees off.

We got about 5-6 miles away from the storms, the SCX-20 started working normally so I guess it was just messing with the GPS reception. I would imagine that the SCX-20 needs all four of its GPS sensor to have a good lock in order to calculate the heading, which is why it would stop generating heading output while the other GPS units on the boat (the TZT 3 displays, my AIS transponder, and the WX220) were still outputting position.

The 220WX has a bow mark you want to check is physically pointed correctly. Thanks for sharing the story. I could almost picture myself there.

Back