SafeHelm 2 not returning to Nav mode after manual steering

gtstang462002

Furuno Super Fan
I just installed the SafeHelm2 sensor on my AP711C. When I manually turn the helm to dodge a crab pot float or weekend ID10T on their pontoon boat the AP switches to standby and never comes back into a Nav mode unless I manually re-engage. I was under the impression that it was supposed to pick the course back up after a predefined time period and simply be installed without any additional programming needed.

I'm pretty sure mine returns to Nav mode automatically. Have you checked to see what the delay is set to? Maybe you're just not waiting long enough and need to shorten the delay. I feel like mine returns to Nav mode too quickly and it actually annoys me a little when I just want to manually navigate for a few seconds but it keeps trying to take back over. I'm using a NavPilot 300 though, so maybe there's a difference between the models too.

Last edited:
The boat must be turned back to the direction of the programmed course prior to "pausing" the pilot. When the established time set in the setup expires (normally 5 seconds) it will resume. If you don't turn the boat in the direction of the original course or wait the required time set during the setup; it wont.

The boat must be turned back to the direction of the programmed course prior to "pausing" the pilot. When the established time set in the setup expires (normally 5 seconds) it will resume. If you don't turn the boat in the direction of the original course or wait the required time set during the setup; it wont.
My pilot doesn't seem to have the menu to set up the safe helm. Per the operator's manual in section 2.13 I do not have the option to set the SafeHelp/p.Assist Setup to get into that menu. I believe that the system is up to date, the processor is at 1.27 and the controller is at 1.08.
20230810_063637.jpg20230810_063657.jpg

Under the universal port setup, I am limited in my options.
20230810_065315.jpg20230810_065303.jpg

It seems your SAFEHELM isn't recognized or something like that. You can't use the General menu items at all when using SAFEHELM because that is where the sensors wire into. They should be left to disable. If setup for something else this is most likely why the SAFEHELM wasn't working.

Back