RSB-055 compatible displays?

josburn76

Hello,

I was given an RSB-055 radar and 1831 display. Can't seem to get the display to work, so wondering what other models may be compatible. Thanks in advance for any help.

JO

The M1831 is a 28-30 year old radar. The 1831 came with RSB0055-038. That 038 is the RTR (Receiver Transmitter) and that number is very important. If they provided you an RSB0055 with a different RTR number it might not be compatible. For example the M841 used an RSB0055-049 and it would not work as it is linear radar and the M1831 is logarithmic. Back in those days the tuning voltage was 32v (not 12v) so it will be hard to find another unit to run the scanner unless you find another working M1831 display. The 1831Mk2 display would work. While there are a few other older radars that would work they would require special cable changes and modifications that would not be worth all the effort. I recommend to see if you can find a working M1831 or M1831Mk2 display.

Thanks for the info! I finally got the display to work, but I didn't have enough time to test targets and overall functionality...hoping to get to that this weekend.

Couple other questions:

Where would I find the 038 notation on the unit? the only thing i see is s sticker on the outside and under "type" its just noted RSB-055.

Are there any other mounting brackets for the display that would work with this unit? The guy that gave me this didn't have one (it had the knobs though) and I've been seeing some on Ebay for the following models 1721, 1731, 1751, 1761 MK2, 1832, 1932, 1942. Thanks again for all the help.

Hi again - another question to add here. I tried to test the functionality of the unit down at my boat over the weekend, but I can't seem to get targets to show up and the display is also not sweeping. Hooked up everything on the cables as directed in the owners manual, the scanner rotates..etc. Here is a pic of what I'm seeing. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-08-20 at 9.03.52 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-08-20 at 9.03.52 AM.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 6
The last three digits of the FCC ID number on the scanner label is the RTR (Receiver/Transmitter) number. That should be 038.
The bracket is part number 008-462-810 but you will need to see if any dealers might have old stock or buy on the used market. It is no longer available new due to the age of the product. If you put it in manual and crank the gain up on the radar can you fill the screen with noise? (with clutter filter all the way down)

Thanks for the reply back! I've seen some used brackets on Ebay, but not that model, guess I'll have to just keep searching until I find one, but I appreciate you supplying the actual model number.

So when you mention putting it in manual, do you mean on tuning (#5) - then select manual and crank gain up- please see attached screenshot. Filling the screen with noise meaning - I'll hear something? Lastly, where would I find that FCC ID number? Please see the label on the outside of the dome - is there another label inside i'd find this info? Thanks again for all your help - radar newbie here so all this info is tremendously helpful.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-08-22 at 8.12.27 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-08-22 at 8.12.27 PM.png
    93.5 KB · Views: 3
  • Screen Shot 2023-08-22 at 8.18.49 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-08-22 at 8.18.49 PM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 3
Your FCC number has warn off the label.
1692884840772.png

Most radars have auto gain and auto clutter setting. You can leave the turning in AUTO but while in manual you might try to see if you can manually tune in a signal or not. Normally when properly tuned, the tuning bar will be about 70%.

Thanks again for your reply. I did try manual and auto as suggested, but didn't get any targets on the screen (please see screenshots below). The radar dome rotates, but can't seem to pick up targets. Any other suggestions for troubleshooting? At this point is it safe to assume its something wrong with the dome vs. screen as everything seems to display nicely on the screen? Anywhere I can go nearby to a service technician? my zip code is 90740. Thank You.

Attachments

• IMG_4297.jpeg
    IMG_4297.jpeg
    479.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4298.jpeg
    IMG_4298.jpeg
    451.4 KB · Views: 0
Some direct dealers can do that, and some cannot. It all depends on the skill level of their staff.
If you send in the dome and cable, both can be evaluated.

Back