Radar "TX" issues

A

Anonymous

I recently purchased a boat with a 1944C-BB unit. On the last trip when selecting TX for the radar the ENTIRE unit shuts down. Restarts fine, chart plotter function works great but when I select TX for the radar it shuts down the whole unit. I checked voltage going to the processor and am reading 13 VDC. Opened array unit and see nothing obviously wrong. Array will rotate approximately 1/4 turn before shutting down. If I disconnect the connector at the processor going to array and select TX it does not shut down the unit. Indicating that it's an issue with either the lead from the processor or the antenna assembly. Another observation noted and not sure if it's related, but when the radar was operating normal it sometimes took a long time for the overlay function to be enabled. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The Navnet processor is sensing a short and shutting down to prevent damage to your unit. (this is a good thing) My first suggestion is see if you can push start the radar. Have someone use a broom stick to gently push the array in normal rotation just as you take the unit into transmit. If the unit runs fine, you would need to replace the RTB board which has the motor start circuits. If the unit still shuts off then you have a short someplace. You could start by disconnecting the scanner cable at both ends, inspecting, and checking the cable with a meter. If the scanner cable is good, inspect the scanner for signs of water or shorting. Next most likely short would be from the modulator board. It would be best to get a dealer involved at that point because the modulator board develops very high voltages.

Thank you for your reply and recommendations. I contacted Mid Shore Electronics, who installed the unit and they feel that it is most likely the modulator board. They are going to look at it next week. Again thanks for your input.

Back