R509 vs 38BL-9HR

Chewbucca17,
When I an out I will normally set the TVG distance at half the range, meaning if you have the range set to 600ft I will set the TVG distance at 300ft. But I don't mind seeing clutter on the screen, I would rather see to much than not enough.

Snips

Snips":3jvrarm7 said:
Chewbucca17,
When I an out I will normally set the TVG distance at half the range, meaning if you have the range set to 600ft I will set the TVG distance at 300ft. But I don't mind seeing clutter on the screen, I would rather see to much than not enough.

Snips

Thanks snips. I'll try this. Am I right in assuming setting the tvg distance at say 300 feet with range at 600 feet, the preset tvg setting level is being applied at 100% between 300 down to 600 feet?

Chewbucca17,
The TVG distance is where the sounder is going to achive 100% of the front panel gain setting. Meaning if the TVG distance is left at the default setting (600ft) and you have the front panel gain (knob) set at 5 the sounder has a 2.5 receiver gain at 300ft. Below is a graph that might help.

Snips

Attachments

• TVG.JPG
    TVG.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 1,035
Snips":1hmxnbab said:
Chewbucca17,
The TVG distance is where the sounder is going to achive 100% of the front panel gain setting. Meaning if the TVG distance is left at the default setting (600ft) and you have the front panel gain (knob) set at 5 the sounder has a 2.5 receiver gain at 300ft. Below is a graph that might help.

Snips

Thanks snips . So say if you were in 900 feet of water, the front panel gain setting would remain at 100% from 600 feet all the way down to the bottom in 900 feet?

Chewbucca17,
The front panel gain can be set from 0 to 10. The TVG distance is where the sounder is going to reach that setting. After that distance the gain is the same.

Snips

Thanks snips. Am hoping to get out in the boat in 2 days time. Will try playing around with settings and report back with some screen shots. Thanks again.

Back