Precip Not Blue in Rain Mode

RickVicik

Furuno Fan
Isn't precip supposed to be blue in Target Analyzer Rain Mode? On my setup, a rain squall was mostly red. I could see the shoreline beyond it visually, so it wasn't heavy. Equipment details:
DRS6A-NXT w/ 4' array installed July2020
TZT19F installed Dec2020, upgraded to Version 3.5 Nov2022
SCX20 for GPS position, SOG/COG & heading

Please let me know if I need to set something else to get precip to be shown in blue. A boat under the squall would be more visible if the precip were blue rather than red.

I've attached screenshots taken a few minutes apart while enroute at 7kt from Brownsville to Poulsbo in Puget Sound.

NormalAllAuto is normal mode with gain/sea/rain set to auto.
The green/yellow/red area is the rain squall. The shoreline is depicted clearly in red.
The shoreline beyond the squall is out of range, so it may or may not have been visible with these settings.

TargetAnalyzerRain is with Target Analyzer in Rain Mode.
The red area is the squall and the shoreline is depicted clearly in green.
The AIS target "FreshTracks" has a small red return.

TargetAnalyzerTarget is with Target Analyzer in Target Mode.
The squall covers a much larger area and obscures the shoreline.
The AIS target "FreshTracks" has a larger red return.

Attachments

• NormalAllAuto.png
    NormalAllAuto.png
    392.9 KB · Views: 6
  • TargetAnalyzerRain.png
    TargetAnalyzerRain.png
    358 KB · Views: 5
  • TargetAnalyzerTarget.png
    TargetAnalyzerTarget.png
    491.8 KB · Views: 5
I see you appear to know that it must be specifically put into rain mode.
Not entirely sure but I think because of the intensity of the storm or it isn't actively raining, just a moving storm. Have you check the software on both the display and radar to ensure you are running the newest? 1687463018743.png

The TZT19F version is latest (3.5). The attached screenshot shows the radar version as 01.01:01.01:01.01.03:01.01. If that means the version is 1.03, then it is not the latest and I will have to upgrade.
---rick

Attachments

• TZT3Screen_2023_06_22_15_21_54.png
    TZT3Screen_2023_06_22_15_21_54.png
    54.7 KB · Views: 6
I tried updating the DSR6A-NXT software using the network sensor software update package from https://furunousa.com/en/support/DRS6ANXT, but the update tool said the current version and version of the update package were both 1.03, so I didn't continue. The software update history document from that same URL shows the latest release is v1.06. Is 1.03 the latest for the DRS6A-NXT and 1.06 for the other -NXT radars?
---rick

Good catch Rick. We will get the IT guys to have that updated by Monday noon. Additionally, they apparently released a newer version v1.10 so we will make sure that gets up there.

Good catch Rick. We will get the IT guys to have that updated by Monday noon. Additionally, they apparently released a newer version v1.10 so we will make sure that gets up there.
I looked at the update files for the DRS25A-NXT on its support tab. The package that downloads has a folder labeled DRS6A-NXT but none for the DRS12 or 25A-NXT. It may be that the pedestal software is identical but the folder name is then misleading.

But the question is does this mean there is now an update for the DRS25A-NXT to a v1.10 also?

Confirmed DRS6ANXT, DRS12ANXT, and DRS25ANXT is now v1.10 software as the newest update for these DRS models. The software file has been posted along with new software history document. It can take a couple of hours to migrate and you might have to hit CTL-F5 to refresh the document so you are not looking at an older version that was cached.

I installed the new update package and my DRS6ANXT is now v1.10. I won't be able to test it in actual rain for some time based on the current weather forecast.

Confirmed DRS6ANXT, DRS12ANXT, and DRS25ANXT is now v1.10 software as the newest update for these DRS models. The software file has been posted along with new software history document. It can take a couple of hours to migrate and you might have to hit CTL-F5 to refresh the document so you are not looking at an older version that was cached.
The new software package is what you get when clicking the download link so that was updated. However, the software history document wasn't updated so it does not list the changes in v 1.10. Is it possible for you to describe the changes now that the software is public?

Back