PM111LM vs CM599LM with Deep Impact

seaquin

Furuno Fan
I am refitting the electronics on my 39 Contender (not stepped) and am having trouble with the transducer selection. Originally the plan was a CM599LM and a separate 165t for the DFF3D, but now I see there is a combo available that puts a PM111 and 165t in the same housing. My concern is the loss of deep water performance from dropping down to the 16 element 2k transducer vs the 25 element 3k, does anyone have any real world experience with the two? We use the boat for daytime swordfish in south Florida and deep dropping in the Bahamas.

Thanks in advance

I have some experience that might be relevant. If money was absolutely no object then why not get the 599. But my experience with both 2kw and now a bunch of different 1kw chirp units tells me for swords and tiles over on the west gulf the 111 would be just fine. I had older r199 shoot thru traditional unit in my last boat. 2kw 50 khz. And for marking tiles at 1000ft or the scatter layer at approx 1500ft it was stellar. It would mark large fish cruising around those depths easily. But most of the time we are not actually marking the fish just looking for bait, balls etc in the scatter layer or around it. It could easily do that. See screenshot in 1671ft. My latest boat came with as B275LHW and I added the 165t dff3d. I thought for sure I would swap out the 275 for a 2 or 3kw unit but after using it last summer I may just keep it. It chirps down to 42khz and even at 1 kw it marks what I need it to. See 2 screenshots. 1 was golden tiles feeding on bait and another was some deepwater bait on a hump in 1300ft. I will be curious to see if anyone has a different opinion as I am always looking for a reason to buy a new toy if I can justify it.....

TZT3ScreenShot_2020_08_15_16_02_54.png

TZT3ScreenShot_2020_08_15_13_35_09.png

04AUG16_1559_00.jpg

Thanks for the real world experience and the screenshots, DeepSouthTX. It's not so much about the cost of the 599, its more that the installers are telling me its going to be extremely tight to get a 599 and 165t pocket mounted and in clean water since this is a retrofit to an existing hull.

Back