New hydraulic system design error for 711c

Robert

Hello all - first time poster here. I have an old troller (still in use) that until recently had an old Wood Freeman autopilot and chain steering. I'm switching over to hydraulic/furuno 711 for usability reasons. The hydraulic manual steering is already in, and I encountered a snag during the install of the rudder reference unit today (rai).

The problem seems that I had the fabricator mount the rudder angle indicator stud in the wrong place, and there's insufficient room to mount it according to the instructions. . When modifying my existing quadrant to receive the hydraulic ram post and rru post, I accidentally used the center of the ram post instead of the rudder post as the reference for placing the rru post. The fabricator placed 2 rru posts; 1 exactly 4" from the center of the ram post (which would work perfect if that was the right post!) - the other about 2.5" from the center of the ram post - which puts that one at the closest to the actual rudder shaft... but still 8.5" from it which is farther than the rru arm allows.

The complicating difficulty with this, is the original boat build (or what looks more like a modification at some point) put the rudder post AFT of the heavy aft lazarette bulkhead, with no room to install the rru where it should be.

So - can the rru go elsewhere? As long as the rru arm and connecting rod are square, can I use the ram post instead of the rudder post, as the centering location for the rru body? Help!!!

In the hopefully attached photo:
A = rudder post center
B = hydraulic ram post center
C= closest available rru post location - 8.5" from actual rudder post but only 2.5" from ram post (B)
D = furthest rru post from (A) actual rudder post center at about 10" but exactly 4" from (B) hydraulic ram post

20190514_175926_compress53.jpg

I called Furuno support this morning, who informed me that as long as the rru angles were 90° - then all would be well... what a relief!

Back