Need help selecting a transducer and black box

sabir15a

So I currently have DFF3D which is limited to about 1000 ft with the transom mount transducer and the B164 elements. I would really like to be able to mark bottom and fish to about 3000-4000 ft as I plan to get into sword fishing at some point. Boat is on a trailer so a fairing block is gambling at best and would prefer to have a shoot through or a flush mount transducer. I have dual TZT2 12" displays. What would be my best option for a blackbox/transducer combo? Thank you!

Sabir15a,
Fish detection at 3000-4000 feet is a very tall order. You also have a trailer vessel which means you have a hull with a very shallow draft.

To see deep you need a low frequency i.e 28 or 38Khz. I would also recommend using a 3kw transducer. Now, these transducers are big and and really not designed to be fitted on trailer vessel. If you want to try it, I would recommend attached the transducer to a swing down arm to get it away from the hull and using a DFF3. This won't be a transducer you will be able to use while running, only when you get to the fishing grounds.

Snips

Snips":3cyow46z said:
Sabir15a,
Fish detection at 3000-4000 feet is a very tall order. You also have a trailer vessel which means you have a hull with a very shallow draft.

To see deep you need a low frequency i.e 28 or 38Khz. I would also recommend using a 3kw transducer. Now, these transducers are big and and really not designed to be fitted on trailer vessel. If you want to try it, I would recommend attached the transducer to a swing down arm to get it away from the hull and using a DFF3. This won't be a transducer you will be able to use while running, only when you get to the fishing grounds.

Snips

Thank you Snips, How about in the 1000-2000 ft range? Boat is a 32 ft Cape horn, draft is about 26". Would I be able to use a chirp transducer like an ss175/B175 flush mount? or even go into something like an Airmar R599?

Sabir15a,
I don't know if I can offer you a good solution. I personally don't recommend any in-hull transducers and flushed mounted ones are subject to turbulence. The online pictures I see really don't show the hull lay out. Most are showing the vessel on the trailer or in the water.
If I had to pick between the in-hull or flush mount I would go flush mount. But to be honest, I doubt you are going to get the performance you were hoping for.

Snips

Back