Model FCV-628 vs Model GP-1870F

H

Harry043

The model FCV-628 says it has a Range Scale of 2-1200 m and the Model GP-1870F has a range of 5-1,200 m. Now, the first thing that has me pretty confused is the little "m" after the range scale. That little "m" where I come from indicates meters - and I just have a hard time picturing that - so if you could please clarify that I would appreciate it.

The second thing is the transducer. I have a 20 foot center console and I would like to use a Furuno 525TID-TMD Transom Mount Transducer 1kw. Is this transducer compatible with the Model GP-1870F?? And if it is, what kind of range an I realistically going to get with a 1kw transducer with that unit? I deep drop in the Florida Keys and I would love to "see" and little better just what I am dropping on. My head is so full of numbers (and now the letter "m") I don't know what to believe. Simrad is telling me there stand alone fish finder will do 10,000 feet!

If the Model GP-1870F is not compatible with that transducer - can you recommend something in this price range. I don't necessarily need a gps/chartplotter but will take one if the sounder is sound :)

Cant really comment on your first questions but I have an 1870F as a back up sounder and plotter I cant really fault it.

Transom mount struggles with the really deep stuff regardless of the transducer, whereas thru hull is outstanding from my experience.

Harry043,
The small "m" stands for meters. If you reset the GP-1870F for feet, the deepest range is 4000 feet. The 525TID-TMD is compatible with the GP-1870F. Realistic deep range for bottom detection is in the 2500-3000ft range and fish detection would be in the 1000ft range (depending on water conditions).

Snips

Snips, thank you so much. Now that makes sense to me. I don't really use the fish finder to find fish anyway, it's more about finding structure and changes in the bottom. I have been doing this for a couple of years with a cheap little Garmin 541s and I actually am very successful. But anything deeper than 600 feet or so I have to be moving very slowly or almost stopped. Would I be correct in assuming that the 1870F would actually be a little better than the FCV-628 with the 1kw transducer because it has a 1Kw sonar module where the 628 is only 600kw?

Do I need that matching box MB-1100 in order for the 525TID-TMD TRANSDUCER to work or does it just plug in to the 1870F? I understand that some of the bottom discrimination capabilities will not without this box, but I don't believe this feature would work at great depths anyway, is that correct? I am about an inch away from buying this 1870F unit.....

Harry043,
The 525TID-TMD doesn't require the MB-1100. Also just know while it can be used with the GP-1870F it is not it's database for using either the Bottom Discrimination or ACCU-FISH mode.

Snips

Snips, thank you once again. I picked up a 525TID-TMD today for $450.00 on eBay and it was actually at a Boat Repair Shop 50 miles North of Key West (everywhere is N of KW) in Marathon, Fl, so I drove up and got it.

One more question if I may. Does the 1870F come with any mapping software at all? I am going to buy one in the next day or 2, not sure where yet, but all the adds seem to say "Standard C-Map 4D chart available on SD card". I am thinking these are enhanced maps, and the chartplotter must come with some sort of mapping software installed. Is that the case?

If so, what are the Standard C-Map 4D chart available on SD card all about, I see they run a couple hundred bucks or more on eBay.

Thank you in advance, you have no idea how happy I am to have found this forum.........

Harry

Harry043,
We are glad you found the forum also.
GP-1870F has base cartography but you should plan to purchase a C-Map chip so you will have more detail for your local area. C-Map has a pretty good web site that you can explore what they have available.

Snips

Back