MFD12 not ouputting GPS PGNs

chtucker

Furuno Fan
This is not my boat, but one I am responsible for maintaining....

It is a "fleet" operated boat with many different operators.

I got the call stating that there was no GPS coordinates being displayed on the VHF or the engine controls. The MFD 12 is accurately displaying location/coordinates. I see data output from the MFD by testing with an LED buld at the NMEA0183 Junction box.

I looked, but had not read the manual yet. I believe the issue is that the configuation of the Com ports was changed and the MFD12 is not outputing the GPS PGNs.

Does this only happen when an operator changes the configuration or is there some sort of power reset condition that could cause this. The users turn off the the MFD and and network equipment by turning off the battery switches. They do not power down the MFD. On power up, they turn the battery switches on and then push the power button on the MFD.

Howard

The settings will get corrupted by powering off by the breakers. The crews really need to power off by holding down the power button and wait until the unit is completely powered off and then turn off the breakers. These units are Microsoft Windows based machines and you may know how Windows computers hate being powered off like that...well, same thing with the MFD12.

That was my assumption.

I noticed that the vessel data was also missing (size/location) depth warnings, etc. It appeared that a lot of settings were at a default.

I guess some training is in store!

Thanks,

Howard
City of Seattle

Back