Meter Interference?

Smiler

Carolina Classic 28
Two TZTouch 2 12” (Helm and Tower)
165T-50/200-SS 260 1kw (flush mounted in keel)
3DFF-3D Module
Furuno 300 Autopilot
Furuno DRS25ANXT/4 Radar

Gentlemen

On our just completed trip, we started to develop these diagonal lines on our meter. I’ve not seen this before. I tried a variety of different settings along with turning off both the mains and the generator thinking perhaps we’ve developed some sort of interference but nothing I tried at least made any difference.

Thougths/Suggestions

Best Regards

Marshall
F/V Westerly

Attachments

• IMG_0413.jpeg
    IMG_0413.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 10
Have you tried to isolate the machine to a portable battery for testing purposes to see if it goes away? If it goes away on an isolated battery, then you have some type of interference.

Last edited:
I had a similar problem. I tried many things. Separating the batteries etc. ..... Let the moderators whose job it is to answer you answer. If you don't get a result, please send a message.

You had your main engines and the generator turned off and were not connected to shore power and still had the lines? Were all other DC powered devices turned off (pumps, refrigerator, etc etc)? My guess is that the noise is coming from a motor of some sort.

I had something similar happen with my sounder once but it was from the generator, which you ruled out.

Keep shutting things off till it clears.... Or turn everything off, then the sounder, then other items till it shows.
Could be LED lights or some sort of power supply/converter noise.

My problem occurred when the refrigerator and Minnkota were working.
I disconnected the batteries completely from each other. I only disconnected one battery from the furuno, but the problem persisted. I found that it was an inductive power problem. There are several ways to fix it, the shortest solution is to connect a cable to the furuno ground and touch the end to the water. Please try this first.

Fish finder interference, (either caused from ship vibration, engine noise, electronic equipment, or other echo sounders, sonars, or etc.) may sometimes appear on your fish finder screen.

Most of the time, using Interference Rejection can help with this noise. Also having a good solid earth ground, and a good, clean, isolated power source definitely helps combating any of this inference.

Fish finder Interfernce.jpg
- Deep Blue ;)

Thank you all for the help. I just returned last night from our last trip of the year. To the extent that I could, I tried a couple of things in attempt to isolate the source of the problem to no avail. Now that we are tied up to the dock, I’ll work through some of your other suggestions and let you know how it goes either way.

Just a follow up to my earlier post(s). At some point recently, apparently I completely turned off the Interference Adjustment. We have just finished up the deep dropping portion of our season and at the time I was playing around with various settings to see how perhaps I could improve the systems performance and then forgot to re-set it once I was done.

Sigh….

Anyway, I put it back at its “normal “ setting and problem solved.

Good morning and merry Christmas,
Surely the moderators know something more, but I would like to give you some suggestions regarding the transversal lines that I see in the photo. They have the appearance of induced disturbances, such as sparking of the brushes of the motors, the method for the search is that of exclusion of the various devices in operation, also pay attention to the LED light regulators... sometimes I have solved the problem by putting a 1 microfarad capacitor in parallel to the power line at the point closest to the instrument and make two turns of wire around a ferrite core. It takes a lot of patience but it is solvable.

Back