Heading sensor cable

robjl

Navnet VX2 system
I have several spare 6 pin cables (blue) and several 6 pin plugs with black cable pigtails, is it possible to use any of these to make up a cable for a Heading sensor PG-500?
Is there a wiring diagram anywhere on the net ?
Thanks

Good afternoon Rob JL,

It is possible but it may require for you to cut one of the cables and reterminate the cable to make it correct.

Furuno makes a number of 6 pin cables that are black. What color are the plugs: Are they Black or Gray?

Below is a pinout of the PG500 AD10 Port. You will notice that it is a straight thru cable: meaning pin 1 goes to pin 1, pin 2 to pin 2 etc. You will need to pin out your cable to find out if it is a straight cable or cross.
AD10 Port.jpg

Below is an the pinout of the NMEA Port on the PG500. You will notice it does not give the receiving products pin out. So if you cable is crossed you may need to cut an repin to use as an AD10 heading cable or you could possible leave it crossed and use one of the vx2 6 pin NMEA ports to bring in NMEA heading.
NMEA Heading.jpg

C-Bass

I was just able to make a network cable by splicing together a blue network cable with one connector missing and a black pigtail with gray connector (fluxgate cable for AD10 on the heading sensor).

I will note that the shielding in the black/gray combo cable is quite different (much more robust) than the blue network cables. Since the black with gray connector cable is used for AD10 heading sensors which seem to be quite sensitive, you might run into interference issues if you use the blue cable for the majority of the cable run. I actually just picked up a 10m fluxgate cable on ebay for $50. Might be worth a purchase, especially if the cable run is difficult to do in your boat, like it is in mine. Redoing it after finding out you're getting interference is not ideal.

Alternately, is it possible to plug the Heading sensor (PG-500) into a network hub, I have spare cables that will do this.
I'm having no luck finding 6 pin black cables.
Thanks

Thanks Johnny and others,
Can I make up a cable by re-plumbing a blue cable (I have a couple of spares), am I correct in connecting it straight thru ie pin 1-1 2-2 3-3 etc... Is the shielding on the blue cable adequate?
I have a black plug with black pigtail , I notice the shielding is much more substantial!
Cheers
Rob

The blue network cables are normally wired as crossovers so you can't depend on the color code for your wiring when using them like NMEA cables. You must ohm them out and ensure you are wiring up the correct pin. I don't think the extra shielding is critical. Black cables might be NMEA cables but could also be Speed and Temp cables so again, don't count on the color code. Wiring from the compass to the NavNet should be done like the first graphic that C-bass provided and basically pin 1 for pin 1 etc..

Back