Ground wire

dlampitoc

Hi,
Installing a DFF3D and a DI-FFAMP in a new Aluminum Hull boat.
Concerned about attaching the ground wire to the hull as per instructions.
Would attaching the ground wire to the negative bus work in preventing interference to the sounder picture?
thanks

dlampitoc,

RF grounds need to be a separate grounding system that is used to drain any unwanted electrical noise away from sensitive marine electronics like Sounders & Radios. RF Ground is a true earth ground with no or very little current that should flow through this ground, yet it is the most important ground for performance of today's high-tech electronics on boats.

Boat that are metal hulled, the connection to the sea is the vessel’s hull. This can typically be a bonding system on a boat, where all through-hull fittings are hooked together and essentially tied to earth. You can do bonding an electrode on the vessel’s hull exterior, or to the chassis of an outboard engine, or to the reduction gear that is connected to the propeller shaft and propeller of an inboard engine

And always be sure to use a 16-AWG or larger wire when connecting to your RF Grounds.

- Deep Blue ;)

so am I safe to assume that if I just ground it to the back of the dash via a screw into the aluminum bulkhead that that will do its job and that it will not cause galvanic corrosion? thanks

dlampitoc,

In theory, Yes. However, I would still run a grounding wire to a grounding plate, outboard chassis or reduction gear so that is was closest to the earth.

- Deep Blue ;)

dlampitoc":3gn4x144 said:
so am I safe to assume that if I just ground it to the back of the dash via a screw into the aluminum bulkhead that that will do its job and that it will not cause galvanic corrosion? thanks

An RF grounding plate that is bolted through the hull and lives in the water is the best. Otherwise, for a boat with a NMEA 2000 backbone, you could connect the bare wire ground to your NET-C (-) DC bus or to NMEA 2000 shield/drain. On a boat with say three or so batteries that have the negative posts connected together is a type of "floating ground". With a negative battery cable connected to the block of your motor technically this can act as a ground. However for more information, I'd recommend reviewing this guide from NMEA: https://www.nmeaboater.com/content/news ... &ac=1&a=34

Hope this helps, :sail

- Maggy

Back