Furuno 511 Autopilot

robjl

My 511 autopilot rudder sensor has been crushed beyond repair. I have another sensor, a Saura helm transmitter model TR-2. Is this a possible replacement? What are the Ohm requirements for the Furuno 511 sensor?
Thanks

hi, the furuno FAP-6111 sensor has a resistive value of 2,200 ohms.
with the rudder centered it should be around 1,100 ohms.
Unfortunately I don't know the saura TR2 sensor.
But if it has the same resistive value I think it can be replaced.

A slightly different question. Can I fit a 12V reversible hydraulic pump to my 5002 processor that is connected to 24V?

The pump has to match the supplied voltage to the processor unit. Note: the supply voltage to the FAP5002 needs to be on an exclusive 30A breaker/fuse.

See label affixed to pump to confirm voltage match to NavPilot input voltage.
Ensure pump matches supply voltage to the NavPilot system

Thanks for the info Titanic II. That is what I suspected. I have read the installation manual cover to cover but couldn't find what I wanted. This forum is outstanding. Another reason to stay with Furuno.

If I have a 12V reversible hydraulic pump I can manage it via an autopilot powered system like the 511 where its control outputs operate at 24V by interposing two power relays used as a telereversal. obviously a few milliseconds of delay must be considered...

Attachments

• pump control.pdf
    7.9 KB · Views: 0
I apologize, I remembered that if the 511 output controls a reversible pump, the polarity changes from + to - so two diodes must be inserted.

Attachments

• controllo pompa 24-12.pdf
    9.7 KB · Views: 1
  • navpilot_500_511_520_installation_manual_j2__11-28-11.pdf
    37.6 KB · Views: 1
Thanks for the suggestion. I have ordered a 24V replacement motor for my pump, a simple changeover.

Back