FCV 1150 and Dff-3d

Scotty B

I have just purchased a Furuno Dff-3d to run on Timezero Pro. I currently have a FCV1150 hooked into my Timezero Pro for PBG depth. I am hoping to run the Dff-3d and the 1150 at the same time. I have a second station Timezero Pro module that I will install on a second computer in the boat. Can I run the two simultaneously without causing interference as I see something about the Dff-3d needing an External KP to stop interference. Also is it possible to have it all networking through a network switch.

You should have no problem running KP cable from DFF3D from the FCV1150 to the DFF3D but I can't speak for the available settings and abilities of the Time Zero software to run both units at once. That is a question you would need to discuss with Nobeltec. (503-579-1414)

FCV1150 does not have a KP Sync output unfortunately. So you will not be able to Sync the two together. You will have to use the IR rejection for both the DFF3D and FCV1150.

What frequencies is running on the FCV1150?

C-Bass

Thanks very much for the replies. I have a R509 transducer hooked to the 1150 and run it at high 150khz in shallow water and low 42khz over 150 metres of water. I am hoping that running the 1150 at different frequency to the Dff-3d they won't interfere which each other.

Scotty B":2t46iizz said:
high 150khz in shallow water and low 42khz over 150 metres of water.

Is there a reason to go with a lower 150kHz over conventional 200 kHz in ~500 feet (150m)?

In any case, they should not interfere with 165kHz, however from anecdotal evidence, if they do set interference rejection to high and there should not be any noticeable streak lines generated by competing sounders (Assuming that there are not any other sources of noise on the boat :( ).

- Maggy

Thanks very much for the reply Maggy.
I set my unit up much the same as was recommended in the setting up a FCV1150 with Chirp Transducer document. Below is a bit of what's in the document.

Initial Setup
In the Initial Setup menu, you will need to make sure that the “Transducer Type” is set to MANUAL.
For the best results, we recommend that the frequency and bandwidth be set as follows:
HIGH FREQ: LOW FREQ:
Freq: 155Khz Freq: 42Khz
Bandwidth: 30Khz Bandwidth: 21Khz

Scotty B":100gnrrp said:
HIGH FREQ: LOW FREQ:
Freq: 155Khz Freq: 42Khz
Bandwidth: 30Khz Bandwidth: 21Khz

All things considered, I would not advise this setup. After discussing it over with our acoustics experts like Deep Blue.

Acoustically the next harmonic up from 150kHz is in fact 165kHz, so if I ring my R509 at 150kHz and/or close derivatives of 150kHz (like 155kHz) I am likely going to see it ring directly or in the sidelobes of the DFF3D returns. :noway

If we're to recommend a HF/LF frequency selection that has no conflict with the DFF3D's 165kHz transducer and will give you the best FCV1150 experience I would advise a setting of:
HIGH FREQ: 200kHz (maybe 190kHz)
LOW FREQ: 38kHz

Hope this helps, :sail

- Maggy

Thanks Maggy
I am happy to change my settings on your advice.
Do you think if I change the transducer settings from manual to XDCR CA50/200-1T model transducer that the 1150 will output bottom hardness with the R509 transducer?
Cheers
Scott

Scotty B":bo8i17a8 said:
Do you think if I change the transducer settings from manual to XDCR CA50/200-1T model transducer that the 1150 will output bottom hardness with the R509 transducer?

Yes, read this similar thread. Obviously the value outputted will be very relative to the age and life of that R509, versus the accuracy of the output from a brand new Furuno CA50/200-1T it was designed for. However, if the hardness value outputted via NMEA is incorrect, you can apply an offset (-50% to +50%) to help correct it.

Hope this helps, :sail

- Maggy

Back