DRS6A with TZT14

Reel Catch

I just updated my DRS6a to software version 1.18 and updated my TZT14 to software version 6.02 so that I have the Bird Mode feature. I've done nothing more with Bird Mode other than to turn it on at the dock. Before going out and experimenting more with the Bird Mode, I was curious if there is some sort of written description or guidelines on how to tweek Bird Mode to better identify birds on the display. Once you are in Bird Mode, can you/should you adjust gain and/or sea surface settings particularly when you change radar range? Any input would be appreciated.

09/15/20 Update:
After using the Bird Mode feature, I discovered that it has three settings as follows:
Calm: Gain 93%, Sea 0%, Rain 0%
Moderate: Gain 93%, Sea 20%, Rain 0%
Rough: Gain 93%, Sea 40%, Rain 0%
Under all three settings, you cannot change the gain, sea or rain. So, as I see it you cannot tweek the settings. All you can do is vary between calm, moderate, rough and range. Anybody have any other input?

Well, you could always adjust a radar for finding birds but it wasn't automatic. The bird mode is "automatic" and sets up for what most find the best for seeing birds. When you are in automatic, you can't also be in Manual. That is why you are locked out from changing things. If you don't like the setting bird mode offers then it can be done your way by turning off bird mode and adjusting it to your liking. There is a pretty good page that goes way back on adjusting a radar to see birds in our older radar handbook, if you haven't seen it. https://www.furunousa.com/en/get_suppor ... r_handbook

Johnny, Thank you for the above response. It is very valuable information. So, just to complete my understanding.............bird mode simply locks gain, sea and rain clutter settings depending on your choice of calm, moderare or rough conditions. It does not involve any additional analysis of echoes to identify them as bird echoes............correct?

Back