DRS4DNXT mounting

Wdeertz

I have a Furuno 1945 radar and am thinking of adding a DRS4DNXT dome as a backup. Looking at the DRS4DNXT installation manual I’m not sure I’ll be able to mount it outside the 1m radius of the 1945 radar. If I were to mount the DRS4DNXT within the 1m radius of the 1945 radar but only operated each unit independently (ie. Never together at the same time) would this cause any damage to either radar? Would I be able to operate the DRS4DNXT with the 1945 radar warmed up but not transmitting?

I really like my 1945 radar but also would like some of the new features offered by the DRS4DNXT

You don't want them on the same plane. While you might say that you won't have both running it is like pulling your head in a guillotine and saying you don't plan to pull the trigger. It sets up a very bad situation. Typically they should be installed as outlined by N.M.E.A. in the 0400 installation standards and be vertically offset by at least 18 inches or more. This way they are not able to directly transmit into each other. While running both at the same time might result in some extra interference, it won't damage anything.

Johnny, ok thanks, the DRS4DNXT installation manual says the SSD inside the unit will be damaged if inside the 1m radius of another radar. In any event i’ll mount the DRS4DNXT on top of my pilothouse but will need to blank the aft 90 degrees from the flybridge apparatus.

I finally have my DRS4DNXT installed and have been really liking the new improvements over my older 1945. Particularly the target analyzer. There are times I only run the 1945 and not the DRS4DNXT, is it possible to output the 1945 ARPA targets via nmea 183 so they show up on my tzt2bb? I checked the manual and couldn't find anything so I'm guessing no but wanted to confirm if maybe I overlooked something. Thanks

Unfortunately not. While the NavNets support their own radar ARPA and output TTM (target Tracking message) to other units by 0183, it does not accept external TTM (no 0183 input nor support for PGN 128520). If you wish to plot the 1945 on a plotter you might consider Nobeltec Time Zero as I am pretty sure they will accept and place external TTM, while also offering NavNet integration options.

Johnny, thanks, I am using TZ Navigator with the radar module. The 1945 is being fed the heading from PG500, AIS from a FA150 and GPS from nmea 183. Are you suggesting if I connect the 1945 nmea 1 talkers to my multiplexer that is acting as my laptop gateway that the 1945 arpa targets will show up on my TZ chartplotter Via the TTM sentence? Is this automatic as I can’t see any menu choices to configure nmea 183 output?

Big difference between AIS and ARPA. I said nothing about splitting. My suggestion since at the time you were talking about ARPA tracking was that you might consider taking NMEA output from the 1945 radar and send the TTM sentence over to TimeZero PC software and plot it there. Because many versions of their software have support to also network with the NavNet system, you could share many of those existing resources. You would need to discuss that with Nobeltec TimeZero. If you are shifting discussions to AIS, then I would just take another one of the many AIS outputs of the FA150 and just wire that over to the Nobeltec if not already getting AIS on the NavNet system. If getting it already on the NavNet the Nobeltec should pick it up just like an MFD would so I don't think you would need to wire that. Again something to talk to their support about if you move that direction.

Johnny, sorry for the confusion. To be clear I am only talking about ARPA from the 1945. I already get my AIS targets on my TZT2BB and TZ laptop via N2K. Is the TTM sentence automatically output on the 1945 nmea 183 (port 2 at 4800bps) port? Nmea 183 port 1 is 38400bps as that is receiving AIS targets.

Thanks for confirming as I don’t want to go to hassle of wiring up if this will not work.

As long as you have the ARP-11 arpa board with heading and tracking targets, you should get the TTM NMEA 0183 out either NMEA port (Port 1 or 2) when tracking an active target. It won't put out TTM if nothing has been locked on. It shouldn't matter if you are running AIS in but the output will alway match the baud rate of the input.

Back