DRS25A-NXT solid state

MegaMartin

Radar was working perfectly then I performed a factory reset up to the latest software version, now getting very little return on the screen aside from when in bird mode. I think this has to be a setting issue, can anyone chime in with were to look first. Of all my Furuno equipment I believe I'm least familiar with the setting for the radar.

Unfortunate because it was working perfectly prior to the upgrade. Next time I'll be sure to save all my user settings prior to the software upgrade! Thanks for any suggestions.

First go into the menus and check that the correct radar model and antenna length are shown in the installation setup. If I recall from the last time I updated the software on my DRS25A-NXT, those settings were lost in the process and had to be input again.

After checking that, I would set the sea state parameter to "channel" mode, set the gain and sea state to "auto" and set the rain filter to "manual" with a value of zero and see if your performance is back to normal.

I think you are right that the settings are the problem if it is working okay in bird mode. When you use bird mode, it controls all the settings and overrides what would be in effect when bird mode is off.

First go into the menus and check that the correct radar model and antenna length are shown in the installation setup. If I recall from the last time I updated the software on my DRS25A-NXT, those settings were lost in the process and had to be input again.
The fear of losing settings is why I really don't like the idea of a factory reset during the upgrade process.

The fear of losing settings is why I really don't like the idea of a factory reset during the upgrade process.
Agree - I was told by Furuno not to import my user settings after a reboot for new software because the new software could change something and the settings might not mean the same. They suggested documenting the setup and setting screens with pictures.

I now keep a handful of thumb drives in my boat bag and export the tracks/points and user settings frequently to document what I have to avoid going through that process again. Depending on your equipment the time to readjust the settings and certainly the user objects (tracks/points) is not trivial.

I really enjoy my equipment and the folks at Furuno tech support have been very helpful.

I like to take a video while scrolling through all the pages and menus. It takes about four minutes but you can pause it at any time and get all your old settings.

The idea of having to redo all your settings after a software update was normal in 1999, embarrassing in 2010, and is unacceptable in 2023.

Agree - I was told by Furuno not to import my user settings after a reboot for new software because the new software could change something and the settings might not mean the same. They suggested documenting the setup and setting screens with pictures.

I now keep a handful of thumb drives in my boat bag and export the tracks/points and user settings frequently to document what I have to avoid going through that process again. Depending on your equipment the time to readjust the settings and certainly the user objects (tracks/points) is not trivial.

I really enjoy my equipment and the folks at Furuno tech support have been very helpful.
I'm not worried about points/tracks, that's all backed up on TimeZero Cloud. My boat is behind my house and connects to my wifi when turned on.

After checking that, I would set the sea state parameter to "channel" mode, set the gain and sea state to "auto" and set the rain filter to "manual" with a value of zero and see if your performance is back to normal.

I think you are right that the settings are the problem if it is working okay in bird mode. When you use bird mode, it controls all the settings and overrides what would be in effect when bird mode is off.

Thanks for the tips, wanted to ensure I processed this correctly.
  • Correct radar model selected.
  • Antenna length 1.5M (if i recall)
  • Auto Gain - ON
  • Auto Sea - ON
  • Auto Sea Mode - Adaptative

Wanted to validate these last few settings:
  • Auto Rain - ON (SHOULD THIS BE OFF?)
  • Manual Rain - set to 0

I could not find Sea State Parameter but did see TX Channel mode which is set to Auto.

Back