Drops to Standby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hotspur

Just installed a new TZTL12F, BBW, DRS4DNXT and everything works great except occasionally the radar stops transmitting and goes to standby. Happened 3 times in 2 hours on Sunday.
There is no indication power is lost to the radar and touching the transmit button starts it right back up. The radar is connected to an industrial grade 10/100/1000 ethernet switch (non-POE, non-Furuno) on the uplink port and the BBW and MFD are connected to other ports. I have tried running with and without grounded shield wires. NO DC powered equipment running on the circuit. BBW shows no interruption of service. Has anyone experienced this or have any ideas what might cause this? Other than this it's great stuff!

I've not heard or read of this happening to anyone else. It seems kind of odd. Could there be a setting that is doing this for some reason?

Ensure someone hasn't turned on the watchman feature.
Ensure any network cables you are using for your connections are rated for at least CAT5E or faster and they MUST be shield cables with metal connectors. Any that are not can bring in noise and cause problems. The hub should be fine as long as it isn't a router. If still having the problem I would focus on the radar network cable and re-crimp the RJ45s at each end just in case they loosened during the cable pulling process.

Thanks for the tips. All the cables are preterminated shielded RJ45 Cat 6. The switch is an unmanaged 10/100/100 and not a router. Watchman is off. I am now corresponding with Furuno tech support so I will post what the solution is when I find it.

Well I am not sure what the problem was but did a factory reset and reconfigured and haven't had a problem in 5 hours of running. As they used to say in the telecom world..."came clear while testing"

I’m having the exact same problem. I have replaced both the NXT radar and TZT12 and still having the issue. I have tried it with a new radar power and network cable and still occurs. I have tested it connected and disconnect from the NMEA2000 network also. Did you just do a factor reset on the radar? I’m not sure where you can do a complete factory reset. This issue is driving me crazy but Furuno has been great to deal with!

You can do a radar hardware reset via your TZTL12F via HOME - Settings - Radar - "set Hardware to factory default". If this is a 24v boat, ensure that the 12v being given to the NMEA 2000 bus is isolated as required by the NMEA 0400 installation standards.

I tried the radar hardware reset and still having the issue. Its a 12v boat and it occurs when the TZTL12F is hooked to the NMEA network and disconnected from the network so I don't think NMEA is effecting it. Any other suggestions to try? I think there was a way to do a complete reset using the service man option. I am going to call tech support this afternoon and see if they can walk me thru that. Very frustrating issue.

Well it turns out I spoke too soon. I have had one other occurrence of drop to standby since I did a reset. In this case it dropped, I hit TX and it came back but dropped immediately again, hit TX again then no problem for hours. Like you I have no idea what this is cause by as it happens when connected to the network or directly to the TZT2.

At this point it seems more annoying than dangerous as it fires right back up and it doesn't sound like a hardware issue since replacing hasn't solved your problem.

I did the reset by going thru the service man option and haven’t had a drop in probably 5 hours. A friend has the NXT open array and has been having the problem since it came out. He says it only happens in the closer ranges when the rpm is increased, I think it’s 48 revolutions per minute. He was going to do the reset and see what happened but I haven’t heard back. He has also had his TZT2 displays replaced and the radar and the issue continues. I’m guessing it’s a software issue. It is very frustrating, I hope it doesn’t come back on mine or the new software release fixes it.

I recommend you guys open a case with tech support of your distributor. If you are in Furuno USA's sales/support area, that can be done on our website under SUPPORT - Ask a Question or via telephone. Software isn't going to fix a bad connection, RF feedback or motor. The one that has problems at 48 RPM sounds like a motor issue to me.

The reason why I believed it was software is I have replaced all the components in my system, TZT2, radar and cable and the issue continued. My friend with the open array has also replaced his entire system including the radar and motor and he hasn't been able to resolve the issue. When I replaced my display I loaded the settings off a USB from my old display and the issue continued. Once I did the "service man" reset I haven't had the issue in about 5 hours.

At this point my biggest concern is if I ignore it and a month after the warranty expires it fails i am sol. That’s a problem

I replaced all my equipment under warranty and that wasn’t the issue. Furuno is great to deal with, I think they would take care of you if it was documented before the warranty expires.

I just created a whole new post about this in the tztouch2 page as I have replaced my radar and still having this damn issue. I thought it might have been my tztouch2. Is there any fix for this yet? I'm in Sydney Australia and my furuno reps keep telling me they have sold over 500 units and never heard of this problem. I'm sort of glad I'm not the only one having this issue, if anyone has a fix please share. Its driving me nuts.

Have you opened an official support case with the Furuno distributor in Australia? If not, that is something you should do. This forum is for help for Furuno USA customers in our sales and support area and not grinding axes. We like to keep a focused and useful forum here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back