DFF1 black box problem.

JasonHebert

I have a DFF1 on a black box NavNet3D, probably installed in 2002, also on the network is a pair of PC’s running TimeZ Pro. This has worked well for 6 years since i installed the two PC’s. Untill recently. I can see and controll the sounder from all three computers. Now i get no bottom on HF, and on LF only to about 40’ and with poor definition.
With everything the Navnet Black box shut down and both PC off when i removed the DFF1 it was warm, obviously powered on. I removed the DFF1 and found it was set incorrectly According to the manual as i interpret it All mode switches should be on, but i found switch 1&4, on 2&3 off. I am guessing the unit has been transmitting since installed in 2003. What is the likely issue. Should i try reinstalling and resetting the switches? A Haulout is out of the question at the moment the local travelift is 160 tons. Currently with near full fuel i tip the scales at 190 tons.

The mode switches normally would be all up for the NN3D using direct connection or HUB101. In this case, the boat is running PCs that don't offer power sync, they had to set the switches to DWN, UP, UP, DWN. This allows the sounder to use a fixed IP address and to power ON without power sync. The mode switches were/are not the problem. It would be worth having someone either test the transducer or send in the DFF1 to the repair center to be evaluated. Odds are higher it is a transducer issue but either is a possibility.

The mode switches normally would be all up for the NN3D using direct connection or HUB101. In this case, the boat is running PCs that don't offer power sync, they had to set the switches to DWN, UP, UP, DWN. This allows the sounder to use a fixed IP address and to power ON without power sync. The mode switches were/are not the problem. It would be worth having someone either test the transducer or send in the DFF1 to the repair center to be evaluated. Odds are higher it is a transducer issue but either is a possibility.
Thanks Johnny, should i be killing the power to the DFF1 when not in use?
should i also be killing power to the DRS4D-NXT radar when not in use?

As long as the boat is in the water, it is okay to leave the DFF1 on but it will use some power you could save when not used. Radar if not needed is better left off to save power as well but I wouldn't get carried away bringing it up and down as the initial current surge turn on of any electronics is hard on the components over the life.

Back