Connecting PG-700 to GP1971 via SeaTalk NMEA 2000

lrgridley

I'm trying to connect a PG-700 Heading Sensor to my GP1971F plotter. The GP1971 is connected to a NMEA 2000 (Raymarine SeaTalk) backbone which feeds in data from a Vesper XB-8000 and Raymarine instruments. The cable provided with the PG-700 (00153308000) isn't compatible with the Raymarine SeaTalk backbone T fitting and there appears to be no direct fit to the plotter. My goal is to allow my newly installed DRS-4W to overlay its image on the Avionics charts on the GP1971 plotter and for that it appears I need to add the heading sensor input.

My questions are:

1. What fitting or cable do I need to connect the PG-700 to the SeaTalk backbone?
2. I assume (always dangerous I know) that once connected to the backbone the GP1971F will automatically pick up the PG-700 signal - is that correct?
3. I assume that will allow the radar/chart overlay or do I need to do something else?

Thanks in advance for your help.

1. Raymarine makes an adapter that will work for you. Something like the A06045
2. It should. You may have to switch the source from NMEA0183 to NMEA2000 Auto if it does not.
3. You need to ensure that you calibrate the compass properly: Do the circles. Then adjust the heading as necessary.

I have the 1971, Nav Pilot 300 and PG 700 all connected thru the Raymarine SeaTalk networking components using the adapter cable as suggested above and it works well without any known issues.

Back