Confirm NMEA0183 FCV587 to Lowrance HDS7m charplotter

A

Anonymous

NMEA 0183 FCV587 to Lowrance HDS7m Gen 2 touch.jpgHello,

I just installed a new FCV587 with B164-20 transducer to my Parker 2110. Also added was a Lowrance HDS7m Touch chartplotter. To confirm, are the NMEA 0183 connections below correct? Presently I have not nav data showing on the 587. Also, the Lowrance has a setting for NMEA0183 sentences which include MARPA TLL TX. Any chance this is useful for the Mark feature on the 587? Otherwise, should I use standard GLL for GPS data to display on the 587?

Lastly, I cant seem to enable the water temperature to display on the 587 screen, I have selected "Inside" for the temp setting, assuming that the B164 with integrated temp is "inside" and outside means a standalone mounted temp sensor, correct?

Kirk

Kirk,
Your wiring should be correct. Have you tried looking at the NMEA input using the 587's port monitor function?

Snips

Hello,
No, I have not checked the setting you mentioned, but will look for it and make sure it is set to IN/IN.

For the temp display, it is safe to assume that my 587 will display an actual temp in numerical value? Setting for temp is set to internal, assuming the B164's temp sense is considered as such.

Kirk

Kirk,
Setting the ports for in/in will not let you view the NMEA sentences. Look at page 48 in the operators manual for the port monitor function.

Did you setup a data box to display the temperature?

Snips

No, Snips, no data box for temp. Wasnt aware it needed one...is it in the users guide? didnt see it or overlooked it.

Kirk,
It depends on how you want the temperature displayed. If you just want a digital readout you need to first turn on a Data box and then program the 587 on what to display in the box, page 24 in the manual. If you want a graph that is under the Display menu. See below.

Snips

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 2,778
Hello Snips!

I enabled the HDS7m GPS and FCV587 to talk together. In fact, the TLL setting on the Lowrance allows the Mark button to function (when Mark is pressed, the 587 pops up a dialogue box with location and ability to save. No data is uploaded on the Lowrance, but then again, I dont think that is possible as the TLL on the Lowrance looks like a specialized MARPA TX only, doesnt seem to have RX). Nonetheless, at least Mark works and I can save an exact spot.

As for the temp and GPS, my 587 now shows Nav data on the NAV1 or NAV2 screen as well as rotating through NAV, attempted temp etc on the upper left corner of the display. Here is my dilema:

DATA BOX is on, selected the items shown in the picture attached. The setting for temp is "own" and not NMEA. As you can see in the photo, temp attempts to show with **.*F. Can something else be missing? Could the transducer be corrupt? I am using a B164-20.

Lastly, on a curiosity note, I set the depth to manual, gain to maual and turned it up as shown. On the left side screen, at high gain settings there is semi-regular looking interference, hash marks if you will. Probably normal, but would be nice to have confirmation. In manual gain, what are practical and normal setting and does the interference look normal at LF given the gain setting?

Thanks for all your help!!

Kirk

Attachments

• FCV587 data box.JPG
    FCV587 data box.JPG
    444.2 KB · Views: 2,761
  • FCV587 no temp.JPG
    FCV587 no temp.JPG
    334 KB · Views: 2,761
  • FCV587 w lat long.JPG
    FCV587 w lat long.JPG
    430.8 KB · Views: 2,761
Kirk,
Sounds like you are making progress. For the temp not reading I think it's best to try another transducer. It doesn't need to be a B-164 or need to be mounted, just a transducer that has temperature. It is hard to tell about the marks, could be interference from another sounder but that type of interference usually appears more as diagonal lines. Those don't look to have a pattern to them, I would be curious to see if it goes away if you disconnect the NMEA going to the chart plotter.

Snips

Snips,
As for another transducer with temp, I will investigate the options as I don't happen to have an extra one handy. Have you seen this be an issue on brand new ducers? Seem like a tested item, I would expect Airmar to 100% functional test each transducer, especially considering the cost of a quality 1kW unit.

regarding the noise, I will keep the plotter turned off and see if the noise goes away. What are you thoughts on gain, is 5 or 6 too high? there were no other boats nearby and I only have one sounder, so not sounder noise. I realised that I didnt have the rear chassis ground connected, could this be a culprit to either the noise of temp? The unit is of course connected to GND through the power cable. Is the GND on the back of the unit not also connected internally to the same point?

Snips,

I visited Honor Marine, they were kind enough to loan me a transom mount ducer with temp, and sure enough, my 587 displayed the info as soon as I connected it. That is really disappointing info :angry and will now lead to a new ducer or a paddle speed/temp unit. The B164 has a pigtail which connects the main ducer cable. Maybe there is a Y cable which allows connection to supplemental temp?

Snips,

One more pic, see 50kHz side of the display, very regular noise in auto fishing setting. As mentioned previously, shows in manual mode too. Not at 200kHz. No other sounders on boat. Does this look familiar?

Attachments

• FCV587 with noise at 50khz Auot gain.jpg
    FCV587 with noise at 50khz Auot gain.jpg
    531.6 KB · Views: 903
Kirk,
I am glad to hear that the good folks at Honor Marine gave you a transducer to try. Well at least that test points to the transducer or cabling. Now that you know that the transducer or cabling is suspect I am wondering if that might account for the hashes marks on the 50Khz side. For me, I assume that the transducer is good and start looking other places.

Snips

Snips,

The transducer outputs the correct resistor value (13K for temp at the time of test (tested with ohm meter) and confirmed by speaking to Zack at Gemeco. The culprit looks to be the mix/match cable C332 which has a nine pin connection at the transducer and of course 10 pin at the 587. Pin 6 on the airmar/transducer side is thermistor GND/XID/TEMP. Is is supposed to connect to pins 3 and 7 on the Furuno side of the cable, but with my meter, looks to only connect to pin 7. i will ask for a new cable. As for the interference, will see if the new cable helps. Also, will leave it routed above deck and shut everything else off. Lastly, while looking at the bottom of the trasnducer today, noticed I forgot to take of the rectangular label...only adhesive paper, but you never know. :roll:

Kirk

Kirk,
More progress, yippee. Sounds like you are on the right track. Let's hope that the correct cable will cure both problems.

Snips