CA Bay/Delta chart detail

trommer

On my TZ2, with west coast unlocked, detail is very poor when sailing east of the SF bay area toward the Sacramento/Stockton Delta. Conversely, Nobletec Time Zero on the PC and Navionics on the iPad are far superior with Navionics clearly the best. Is there a chart that can be added to the TZ2 to gain better definition of this region? If so, what is it? Thanks.
Scott

The charts mentioned are not the same nor do they work exactly the same. MM3 Charts can change greatly based on range. Many of the MM3 maps require you to range in closer depending on what your looking for. If looking for fishing bathy, you have to first switch over to "Fishing" charts then range in. If you have a TZT2, you might also consider when the last time the free NOAA raster and vector was updated as there is a new version every year. If your C-map is older as well you can always ask for a screen shot with tech support of the current version to see if it is worth considering a chart upgrade. Lastly don't purchase a new C-map licence and assume that you have the newest version on the included mapping chip. While the new unlock will unlock any prior version, the map itself might be an older one. It is always best to check and know for sure. Navionics is no longer an option on these units and that is a topic beat to death here. Search the existing threads if you need more on that.

Thank you. If the imbedded charts require updating, can that be done via WiFi or does it require a chip with updated/new charts to be used.

It would require removing the map chip to a PC where the newer version can be copied onto it, and then returned to the machine.

Nobletec TZ believes their charts are embedded on TZ2 and can be unlocked? I have the unlock codes from my NT TZ account. Is that fact or fiction? If not, is there a specific chart that is incorporated in TZ2 that would give me better detail of the Sacramento/Stockton delta even if I need to purchase it? Thanks for all...

oTo be clear if asking questions about the TZ PC software, please contact Nobeltec. If asking about an Furuno MFD ask the forum or your local direct dealer/distributor. Any TZT2 that was sold from Furuno USA will include a chart card that is inserted directly into the back of the machine. We do include many preloaded maps. The NOAA vector, NOAA Raster, and Army Corp Eng (ACE) river charts with some US SAT photos are free. The C-map, C-Mor and others require a chart unlock to be purchased. Under the original discussion you seemed to indicate your chart versions were most likely old and not up to date. To update any map which is located on the chip in the back of the unit, I explained it must be removed from the machine to be updated. That is still true. If you are looking at unlocking an area you haven't purchased, while it is true you could purchase an unlock code and it will unlock the older data that was "embedded" on the card that was included, it still wouldn't be the most up to date version you just paid for. To have the newest information, it would need to be downloaded and then placed on that mapping chip. At this point, I think you would benefit from talking to our normal support via phone. Provide them with your system ID from your unit so they can check if any licences have ever been purchased previously. They can also explain how you can look at the chart catalog to see what version of maps are have versus what is available now. (Our support numbers are 410-479-4420 or 360-834-9300)

Back