better transducer for bottom discrimination only

G

gritta

I am looking only for bottom discrimination, I want to see tails under bottom line.
I want to be able to recognize flat hard bottom from mud or sand only on primary echo return, looking for its tails (composition and thickness of them).
The machine is of another brand (1kw), but I am interested on these four transducers:
- CA50/200 1T (or 12M)
- 200B 5S
- 200B 8B
- 526TID (low profile, tilted element)
My range of bottom depth is 300-500' (100/150 meters). Which would do the better work? I was looking for a transducer with an high Q factor and narrow beam, it seems that better shows tails. I dont't found any technical data in Furuno house for Q, but I have only read old posts here on forum....
Putting on a 2kw transducer on 1 kw machine, can I have any improvement? Better clean signal?
Thank you very much

Gritta,

what is the head unit that you are using to interface the transducers to?

It's a Simrad Evo2, and now is running with the 1kw Airmar 175M (low profile), great fishes separation in the column, but no good for bottom discrimination looking for tails on first return. I was looking for another transducer to be combined with mine. Thank you

Good afternoon Gritta,

Unfortunately we don't have much experience connecting Furuno built transducers to Simrad fish finders. I don't even know if it is possible? I would hate to ruin a new transducer or even your fishfinder if they are not compatible.

With bottom truthing, you are correct typically a higher Q transducer is better, also lower frequency and wide beam angles will help expand the bottom tail.

Sorry we could not help you.

Kind Regards,
C-Bass

Back