Adding NMEA Smart Sensor

A

Anonymous

I'm new to Furuno, purchased a boat that has NavNet VX2 chart plotter and radar, very nice setup, pleasantly surprised with this equipment.

Overview: Only 1 display unit (RDP-149) and trying to add smart sensor 235DST-PSE (Airmar). The display unit has GPS plugged into DATA1 and is working fine. I hired a guy to install the sensor, he had it plugged into DATA4. We did not see any NMEA data and we did not think we were getting any power to the sensor. He called a friend in the business and learned that DATA1 should properly send the power to the sensor. As a test, we unplugged the GPS from DATA1 and plugged in the sensor. We got the same result no NMEA and no power.

Does this confirm that we have a bad sensor? Could we have damaged the sensor by plugging it into DATA4?

I now see that there is a Y cable made to plug this smart sensor into DATA4 (AIR-033-407). Is this the right way to connect this sensor? Is it worth a shot to try this cable before getting a replacement?

I truly appreciate and help and advice you may have about these questions.

I now see that there is a Y cable made to plug this smart sensor into DATA4 (AIR-033-407). Is this the right way to connect this sensor?

Yes, this Y cable into data 4 would be the correct way since you are using data 1 for your GPS. You will also need to change your DEPTH and TEMP source settings because they by default will be looking for a network sounder. This is most likely why you didn't see the data. (MENU - SYSTEM CONFIG - NAV OPTION - NAV SOURCE SETTINGS - then change DEPTH SOURCE and TEMP SOURCE to "NMEA" and not ETR)

Thank You Johnny! I appreciate the help with this issue. :furuno

Back